This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4031 / 52°24'10"N
Longitude: 0.992 / 0°59'31"E
OS Eastings: 603630
OS Northings: 282549
OS Grid: TM036825
Mapcode National: GBR SG2.CMC
Mapcode Global: VHKCJ.4VSP
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220596
Location: North Lopham, Breckland, Norfolk, IP22
Civil Parish: North Lopham
Built-Up Area: North Lopham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: North Lopham
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 08 SW NORTH LOPHAM THE STREET
6/77 Church of St. Nicholas
Parish church. Early C14 chancel and nave, mid C14 south aisle and porch,
western tower c:1470-1500. Partly rendered flint with ashlar dressings with
plain tiled roofs and slate porch. Chancel restored 1862. Tower in 3 stages.
High flushwork plinth with monograms on south face : crowned T (Trinity);
crowned MR (Maria Regina); crowned A (St. Andrew - previous dedication).
Arched west door below 2-light Perpendicular window. Diagonal buttresses
also with flushwork. 2-light Y ringing chamber and belfry windows. Crenellated
parapet. South face has ashlar inscription panels representing donors and
saints reading from the top : MRA (Maria Regina and Andrew); PD RD
(unidentified); W. A (William Aleyn, donations 1500); JB (John Barker,
donations 1486); MB (Marion Bussle); RB (Robert Bolle, donations 1500); Pray
for the souls of John Kailli. Crenellated south aisle with diagonal buttresses
and 4 alternating windows either 2-light reticulated or 2-light with flower
motif, the east window being the latter and of 3 lights. Lancet to west of
chancel, arched priest's door and 2-light flowing window of 1862. 3-light
restored reticulated east window. Slate lean-to C19 north vestry and one
restored 2-light window to north chancel. 2 stepped brick buttresses support
north nave wall pierced 2 2-light Perpendicular panel windows, one restored
Y window and arched north door. Interior. 4 bay arcade on bevelled elongated
piers with demi-shafts east and west carrying polygonal capitals. Sunk
quadrant arch mouldings. Tall tower arch. C19 aisle, nave and chancel roofs,
the latter scissor braced. Fine C14 octagonal font, the bowl tapering and
with lightly cut tracery motifs, the stem cut with rolls and flutes, some
with wave mouldings. Early C17 crown cover with ball finial. Painted Royal
Arms of George III on south aisle wall. Lead plate to church wardens hangs
on south door dated 1795. North door blocked, as is chancel priest's door.
Bench sedilia and trefoil piscina in chancel.
Listing NGR: TM0363082549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings