This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8024 / 52°48'8"N
Longitude: 0.8436 / 0°50'36"E
OS Eastings: 591785
OS Northings: 326549
OS Grid: TF917265
Mapcode National: GBR R7Q.B2S
Mapcode Global: WHKQ5.XTWH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220469
Location: Colkirk, Breckland, Norfolk, NR21
Civil Parish: Colkirk
Built-Up Area: Colkirk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Colkirk with Oxwick with Pattesley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 92 NW COLKIRK CHURCH ROAD
1/14 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with some ferruginous conglomerate
and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Tower-porch to south, nave with north
aisle of 1871 and chancel. C14 tower-porch with diagonal buttresses to south
and single angle buttresses in line with nave wall. Massive porch entrance
of 3 orders moulded with hollow chamfers and filletted rolls on trilobe responds
with bell capitals. Carved head label stops. Moulded C14 south doorway.
Cusped Y-traceried bell-openings. Nave and chancel with 4 restored 2-light
Perpendicular windows to south. Similar 3-light west window with 4-centred
doorway below. North aisle with 3 similar re-set 2-light windows and one 3-
light replica. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Chancel arch with polygonal
responds. Cusped angle piscina in chancel. Font probably late Norman.
Circular bowl with 4 pairs of engaged shafts supported on 4 colonnettes with
cushion capitals and bases. Victorian 4-bay north arcade in C14/C15 style.
Wall tablet (from ruinous church of Oxwick) of 1663 to Samuell Smithe with
long and interesting inscription on slate bordered by veined alabaster with
a carved and painted achievement above surmounted by an open segmental pediment.
Some fragments of C15 stained glass in south east chancel window.
Listing NGR: TF9178526549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings