History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints, Including Tower

A Grade II* Listed Building in Quidenham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4827 / 52°28'57"N

Longitude: 0.9733 / 0°58'23"E

OS Eastings: 601992

OS Northings: 291350

OS Grid: TM019913

Mapcode National: GBR SF3.6X6

Mapcode Global: VHKC3.TVDN

Entry Name: Church of All Saints, Including Tower

Listing Date: 16 July 1958

Last Amended: 30 August 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077512

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220376

Location: Quidenham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Quidenham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Wilby All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Shropham

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/05/2015

The entries for the following buildings:-


TM 09 SW QUIDENHAM HARGHAM

3/129 Church of All Saints,
remains of nave and chancel

GV 16.7.58 II

and

TM 09 SW QUIDENHAM HARGHAM

3/130 Tower of Church of all Saints

GV 16.7.58 II

shall be replaced by the following entry which incorporates both items:-

TM 09 SW QUIDENHAM HARGHAM

3/129 Church of All Saints,
including tower

- 16.7.58 II*


Parish church. Early C14 with C15 alterations, restored 1874. Flint with ashlar quoins and dressings and plain tiled roofs. 2 western bays of nave collapsed mid C18 leaving the west tower free-standing. Chancel lower than nave, which has parapeted east gable. Tower is unbuttressed and in 3 stages with some of medieval render surviving. 3-light Perpendicular west window with fragments of tracery. Single arched lancets to ringing chamber and square belfry windows containing diagonal ogeed quatrefoils. Brick parapet probably C17. Double chamfered tower arch to nave on moulded corbels. Roof line of nave on east face. West wall of nave rebuilt a bay to west of chancel arch. Coursed flint with reused C14 door arch moulded with filleted rolls and hood on head stops. Fragment of north and south walls project west. C20 timber bell-cote at south-west corner. Flat east nave buttresses. One 2-light C19 Perpendicular window under hood on labels north and south. Square low side window to chancel south, arched Priest's door and external squint. Two 2-light C19 Perpendicular windows. Diagonal buttresses to east and 3-light Perpendicular window also C19. One similar, but smaller, north chancel window. C19 lean-to vestry with eastern paired trefoil lancets. West of vestry is original paired trefoil lancet window under super arch.
INTERIOR. Pews 1874, as are chancel and nave scissor-braced and boarded roofs. Angle piscina in chancel with double ogeed arches and mouchette tracery. Painted and stencilled dado to east end of chancel, which also has a series of memorial slabs set into floor. decagonal plain font on circular stem and decagonal moulded astragals and base.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.