This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.473 / 52°28'22"N
Longitude: 1.073 / 1°4'22"E
OS Eastings: 608812
OS Northings: 290557
OS Grid: TM088905
Mapcode National: GBR TGK.VH3
Mapcode Global: VHL8T.K34J
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220312
Location: New Buckenham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16
Civil Parish: New Buckenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Buckenham New St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 08 90 NEW BUCKENHAM CHURCH STREET
12/65 Church of St. Martin
Parish church. Flint, randomly knapped, with ashlar dressings. Lead nave
and aisle roofs with machine plain tiled chancel. West tower in building
early C16, nave and aisles C15 restored 1879, chancel C13 but rebuilt 1895.
4 stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Ashlar plinth with panels carved
with route tournantes and tracery continuous round south nave and porch.
Moulded and shafted west door flanked by flushwork panels below frieze of
shields. 3-light panel traceried window with hood continuous with string
course. Third stage has pierced ventilation panels and belfry windows of 3-
lights with rising super mullions in 4-centred arches. Clock face blocks south
side. Large gargoyles over belfry windows. Corner pinnacles to parapet are
crocketted. Brick and flint flushwork. Aisles buttressed diagonally at ends
and flat buttressed to flanks. 3-light panelled south aisle west window.
South porch with dislocated base and string course. Exterior arch 1983 flanked
by flushwork panels and diagonal buttresses each with statuary niche on lower
set-offs and crenellations on upper. Ogeed and vaulted niche over doorway.
Moulded early C14 inner door. Porch roof has longitudinal beam with double
wave chamfers and stops. Crenellated flushwork parapet and blocked windows
east and west. 4 3-light C15 panel traceried aisle windows under 4-centred
arches with hood moulds. Moulded jambs and brick relieving arches. 3-light
east window. 2 south chancel windows of 1895 and arched priest's door. 4-
light Decorated east window of 1895 between diagonal buttresses. Gabled
kneelers and chequered flintwork in east wall. North side as south with minor
variations. 10 panel windows in clerestory north and south under 4-centred
arches with hood moulds, moulded jambs and brick relieving arches. Arched
north door. Interior. 5 bay arcade. Quatrefoil piers to south with hollow
fillets between foils on high moulded bases. Polygonal capitals and double
wave moulded arches, all early C15. North arcade 1479 : elongated lozenge
piers on high polygonal bases and capitals to east and west. Continuous
casement moulding into arches. Tower arch early C16, also with continuous
casements and bundle of wave mouldings. Clerestory windows set randomly.
Nave roof is false hammerbeam on arched braces and wall posts. 2 tiers of
moulded butt purlins, principals and ridge piece. Restored 1879 when carved
head corbels renewed. Aisle roofs of arched braces with traceried spandrels
to moulded purlins and principals. All windows except clerestory with internal
moulding. 4-centred arch opens to rood stairs. North-east nave chapel entered
through high bowtell moulded arch. 4-centred arch into chancel now blocked
by organ. Chancel arch C19. Bench sedilia and trefoil piscina in chancel.
4-centred wall tomb in north wall under squared hood decorated with shields
and roundels. Brass of woman in profile missing from rear wall. C19 hammerbeam
chancel roof. Altar table at east end of south aisle C17. 6 C15 poppyheads
to benches of 1879. Octagonal font dated 1619, the stem Decorated with Green
men and lions, the bowl alternating with shields and tracery details.
Listing NGR: TM0881290557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings