This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4969 / 52°29'48"N
Longitude: 0.9224 / 0°55'20"E
OS Eastings: 598476
OS Northings: 292789
OS Grid: TL984927
Mapcode National: GBR SDV.D1D
Mapcode Global: VHKC2.YH0R
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077578
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220223
Location: Shropham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR17
Civil Parish: Shropham
Built-Up Area: Shropham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Shropham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 99 SE SHROPHAM CHURCH ROAD
7/61 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Mid C13 nave,north aisle and chancel, remodelled C15. C15
west tower. Restored 1867. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
Tower of 3 stages on plinth of ashlar blocks. Diagonal buttresses with flush-
work and stair tower to south-east. West door with 3 orders of wave mouldings
below 3-light transomed window. Belfry windows 2-light but missing tracery.
Gabled south porch with coped parapet. Moulded door with hood and statuary
niche above. Knapped flint facing to south. 2-light square headed windows
east and west with blocked ogee sub-arches. Porch roof of arched braces on
wall posts with ridge piece and single butt purlins. Flat buttresses to nave
and chancel. 3 3-light renewed Perpendicular windows to south nave above
string course interrupted by buttresses. 2 3-light renewed windows to chancel
south and north c1380, probably accurately restored: tall cusped lights with
super mullions rising from divisions and apex of arches and cusped to form
panels. Hood mould and brick and flint relieving arches. Low priest's door
with wave mouldings and hood continuous with string course. Chancel buttresses
have flushwork to lower step and niche to upper. 5-light east window c.1380:
rising central mullions form panel tracery in head flanked by sub-arcuated
paired lights with composition of mouchettes. Pitched ndrth aisle with square-
headed fenestration of panel tracery, 2 2-light to north, one 3-light to east
(St. Katherine's chapel). Mid C13 north door with 2 columns and stiff leaf
capitals, square impost blocks, hollow mouldings and 2 orders of dog tooth.
North clerestory of 4 cusped circular windows in square frames, probably late
C13. Interior. C13 Octagonal 4 bay north arcade with moulded capitals and
bases supporting double chamfered arches. Clerestory windows above apex of
arches. Fine King post nave roof. Moulded tie beams on arched braces rising
from corbels to principals, also moulded. Moulded King posts. One tier butt
purlins, battlemented wall plate and boxed ashlaring. Aisle roof 1867. Tall
triple chamfered tower arch, chancel arch with hollows and waves, both
Perpendicular. C15 sedilia and piscina, sedilia of 3 crocketed and cusped
ogee arches with close panelled spandrels, piscina similar but with pierced
spandrels. C15 chancel roof with principals on wall posts, single butt purlins,
ridge piece and fleuron bosses. 10 arm chandelier, probably C17. Late C14
octagonal pedestal font with early C17 scrolled font cover. Tower screen
is fragment of rood, moved in 1528, but originally C14 : square stiles above
plain base in 2-light bays divided by circular muntins; intersecting tracery
with mouchettes. C15 iron bound chest and late C13 timber south door.
Poppy head benches 1528 but largely now C19 details.
Listing NGR: TL9847692789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings