History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory Sometimes Known As Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in North Wootton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.7907 / 52°47'26"N

Longitude: 0.4301 / 0°25'48"E

OS Eastings: 563959

OS Northings: 324225

OS Grid: TF639242

Mapcode National: GBR N3D.1JM

Mapcode Global: WHJP1.L30X

Entry Name: The Priory Sometimes Known As Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077614

English Heritage Legacy ID: 222153

Location: North Wootton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: North Wootton

Built-Up Area: King's Lynn

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TF 62 SW
5/43 The Priory sometimes
known as Church
15.8.60 Farmhouse
House, late C16 and later, dated 1718. Shell carstone with brick dressings,
pantiles, gable parapets. Double range of 3 bays and 2 storeys, front range
with attics. Earlier front range of 3 cells: axial stack betwen 2nd and
3rd bays with 2 lozenge shafts; central doorway with semi-circular headed
door, formerly double leaved, part glazed with large pintle hinges of C18,
carved spandrels; moulded doorcase, flat canopy supported by large scroll
brackets and pair of wooden columns, wrought iron balustrade to canopy with
some scrolls and twisted bars, wrought iron ramped returns acting as tie
irons to facade wall through wooden pilaster strips. Part glazed door with
glazing bars opening from 1st floor to canopy balcony, stone plaque above
inscribed D / 1718. Flush sashes with glazing bars and 4x4 panes to ground
floor left, large tripartite sash with glazing bars to right, both under
flat arches; flush sashes to 1st floor, 2 to 1st bay, 1 to 3rd bay; 3 roof
dormers. Left return of 2 gables, that to front raised, each with internal
stack and single storey addition with hipped pantile roof. Right return
of 2 gables each with barge boards: C19 fully glazed canted bay window to
ground floor of front range; blocked doorway to right and tall 2-light
casement to rear range. Rear: later C19 range of 4 bays, axial stack with
2 lozenge shafts as to front range between 1st and 2nd bays; single storey
single bay gabled extension between bays 1 and 2 having low circular window
to left. Interior: front range, ovolo moulded principal beams to ground
floor left room, close ceiling joists with jewel stopped chamfers; principal
staircase to central cell, pine openwell closed string construction with
turned balusters, ramped to landing balustrade; staircase to attic floor
between left and central cell; roof of butt purlin construction with ridge
piece, principal rafters of pine, purlins of oak. Rear range with through
passage alongside front range. The Priory of Wymondham, Norfolk, held land
at North Wootton.

Listing NGR: TF6395924225

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.