History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grange Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leominster, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.2277 / 52°13'39"N

Longitude: -2.7348 / 2°44'5"W

OS Eastings: 349910

OS Northings: 259085

OS Grid: SO499590

Mapcode National: GBR FK.1VMF

Mapcode Global: VH84W.K83L

Entry Name: Grange Court

Listing Date: 24 July 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 459469

Location: Leominster, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Leominster

Built-Up Area: Leominster

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Leominster

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


SO4959 Grange Court


Town hall, then dwelling, now Council Offices. c1633; by John
Abel. Removed as traffic hazard and re-erected on new site
1853. Timber-frame and plaster; stone tile roof with gable,
bellcote, and weathervane (dated 1687).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellar; 4-window range: shallow
canted oriels with moulded mullions and transoms in decorated
cases, on enriched consoles; moulded bressumer on enriched
consoles and pilasters, to gable with moulded 6-light mullion
and transom window, set in ornamental panels; wood modillion
gable pediment. Ground floor originally open, under jetty with
boarded soffits and enriched bressumer boards, on timber
columns with figurehead brackets and carved arch-braces;
entrance to centre left: C19, 8-panel door and plain overlight
in oak doorcase with chamfered pilasters; 3 tall, C19 moulded
mullion and transom windows with cambered heads and moulded
sills. Inscription in Latin and English on frieze over
Returned sides: applied chevron- and quarter-bracing; enriched
consoles and panel-heads; single oriels, and casements to
gables; 2 windows between pillars to ground floor.
Rear: C19 stucco and painted brick wing, with 6/6 and altered
sashes, casements, and oriels; further brick wing.
INTERIOR: exposed moulded ceiling-frame; C19 stone fireplaces.
(RCHME: Herefordshire: 115 (5)).

Listing NGR: SO4991059085

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.