History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Roydon, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7837 / 52°47'1"N

Longitude: 0.518 / 0°31'4"E

OS Eastings: 569913

OS Northings: 323656

OS Grid: TF699236

Mapcode National: GBR P4T.KRH

Mapcode Global: WHKQ6.X9T8

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077627

English Heritage Legacy ID: 222009

Location: Roydon, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Roydon

Built-Up Area: Grimston

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Grimston

Listing Text

ROYDON CHURCH LANE
TF 62 SE
1/76 Church of All Saints
15.8.60
- II*
Parish church, 1857 by G.E. Street, incorporating C12 doorways and C13 tower.
Uncoursed random Sandringham sandstone with pink stone dressings, plain
tiles. West tower, nave, chancel and south porch. C13 west tower of
uncoursed flint with limestone dressings, diagonal buttresses; 'Y tracery
west window with figure stops, probably all of 1857; small quatrefoil sound
holes; string course to bell stage, Y tracery bell openings; string course
to embattled parapet. Nave: shallow aisle buttresses, string course and
upper string course running into semi-circular headed openings, 4 to south,
3 to north, all with wide surrounds partly recessed; gable cross. C12 north
and south doorways reset, each with semi-circular head of 3 orders, zig-zag
to middle order; shafts to jambs with decorative capitals and imposts;
boarded doors of 1857 with decorative strap hinges. Wide south porch with
low eaves, buttresses continue facade; semi-circular arch with stylistic
chevron moulding; double shafts to jambs with stylistic waterleaf capitals;
interior of pink ashlar. Chancel with angle buttresses and central buttress
to south chancel as to nave; 2 openings each to north and south chancel
as to nave, those to north flanking outshut vestry in style. East chancel
with arcade having 3 semi-circular headed lights articulated by shafts as
to south porch, treble floral voussoirs, treble dogstooth hood mould with
grotesque stops. Bullseye opening in gable within stepped recess having
decorative mouldings; gable cross. Interior: pink ashlar; arch braced collar
beam roof having twisted king posts to collars. C19 chancel arch in C12
style, 2 orders of dogstooth and roll mouldings, decorative corbels to jambs;
side shafts to both east and west with clasping rings; low wall across
chancel arch. Chancel roof with king posts from arch braced collars; arcade
to east chancel light of 3 arches with 4 shafts as to chancel arch; piscina.
and double sedilia having arcade of 3 semi-circular headed arches with shafts
having decorative capitals. Square sandstone font of 1857 colonettes and
central sandstone pier. C14 tall double chamfered arch to tower.


Listing NGR: TF6991323656

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.