History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Middleton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7259 / 52°43'33"N

Longitude: 0.4567 / 0°27'23"E

OS Eastings: 565997

OS Northings: 317079

OS Grid: TF659170

Mapcode National: GBR P5J.299

Mapcode Global: WHJP7.ZRM4

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 20 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077645

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221980

Location: Middleton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Middleton

Built-Up Area: Middleton (King's Lynn and Wes

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
North Runcton

Listing Text

MIDDLETON FAIR GREEN
TF 61 NE
5/48 The Old Hall
at TF 660 171
II
House, dated 1753, on older core with later additions. Carstone with some
brick and dressed limestone, brick dressings, pantile roof. In several
builds, 2 bays dated 1753 to centre, older single bay to left with C19 forward
wing, 3 bays to right, all to 2 storeys. 3 bay range to right: galletted
carstone rubble, dentil cornice, dressings of C17 brick, gable parapets;
symmetrical facade with central doorway, fanlight with glazing bars, brick
jambs rebuilt and 6 panelled door replaced after fire c.1970, recessed sashes
with glazing bars, 4 x 4 panes, with flat arches; stacks to rear wall, shafts
rebuilt. Right return possibly with raised gable, brick tumbling-in, ground
floor sash as to front. Two bays with datestone 1753 set back to left, lower
roof line, pantiles, some galletted carstone; sash with glazing bays to ground
floor centre left, small inserted sash to right, first floor with 2 sashes
with glazing bars. Bay to left with higher roof, forward wing and polygonal
2-storeyed porch in angle. C19 forward wing C19 of one bay, irregular carstone
rubble with brick dressings, sawtooth brick cornice, pantiled hipped roof;
recessed sashes with glazing bars to ground and first floor of front and
return. Porch in angle an addition, flat roof with parapet, semi-circular
headed doorway with fanlight, sash with glazing bars above, small openings
with glazing bars to left and right. Rear: continuous lean-to under pantiles.
Interior: two large tie beams to ground floor of part dated 1753. Attached
to left front angle of forward wing to left a brick and carstone ha-ha with
short length of wrought iron railings having ramped rail, narrow bars and
incorporating curved gate.


Listing NGR: TF6599717079

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.