History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Middleton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.716 / 52°42'57"N

Longitude: 0.4601 / 0°27'36"E

OS Eastings: 566268

OS Northings: 315989

OS Grid: TF662159

Mapcode National: GBR P5J.P53

Mapcode Global: WHKQD.1ZCQ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077646

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221982

Location: Middleton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Middleton

Built-Up Area: Middleton (King's Lynn and Wes

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
North Runcton

Listing Text

MIDDLETON LYNN ROAD
TF 61 NE
(north side)
5/50 Church of St. Mary
15-8-60
II*
Parish church, C13 and later, restored late C19. Uncoursed carstone rubble
with stone dressings, slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south
aisles, south porch. Tower with embattled parapet of pink brick, string
course with gargoyles; diagonal buttresses up to bell stage; polygonal stair
turret to north-west; west doorway renewed with C19 mouldings and figure
stops; lower part of west facade in pink brick. C19 west window of 3
transomed lights with tracery above, sill breaking string course below; small
lancet to west, north and south faces; bell stage with clockface of 1897 to
south, bell openings each of 2 cusped lights under a quatrefoil. Nave,
chancel and porch with gable parapets and courses. Nave with green slate
roof, 4 clerestorey openings to north and south each of 2 cusp-headed lights
under a square head. North and south aisles extend westwards to clasp tower;
each with lead roof, diagonal buttresses and 4 straight buttresses (2 to
south); each with 3 2-light renewed openings with panel tracery under a square
head; similar openings to west of south aisle and east of north aisle; east
window of south aisle with Decorated tracery of 2 large mouchettes and a
quatrefoil; moulded doorway with renewed arches to north and south. Wide
south porch rebuilt, diagonal buttresses, plain limestone arch with carstone
voussoirs above; tunnel vault with stone ribs, stone benches; returns with
double cusp-headed lights under square hood mould with rebates. Chancel with
diagonal buttresses, north and south walls raised; 3-light east window of,
1862 with simple panel tracery, south and north chancel each with 2 2-light
openings having plate tracery circular light above, the lights with delicate
cusped bars standing proud; south chancel with priest's doorway. Mural monument
of 1812 on east wall to Elizabeth Fysh by Eldridge of Lynn, fluted columns
supporting open pediment having relief cherub within. Interior: north and
south 4-bay arcades, lozenge piers with cut off angles and no capitals, moulded
arches; arch braced roof supported on C19 foliage corbels, much of roof
renewed, C19 bosses, some medieval braces, moulded purlins and principal
rafters. South and north aisles with C19 roofs; south aisle with piscina
and squint to chancel from high plinth with glazed medieval tiles. Chancel
arch with polygonal jambs and double hollow chamfered arch, label stops of
male and female heads; chancel roof of 1862 supported on elaborate foliage
corbels, some with birds. C13 string course of deeply cut foliage bosses
to left and right of western-south windows, C13 double piscina with deeply
cut holly foliage mouldings, spandrel between with lily; C13 rear arch of
east window with narrow moulding. C19 sedilia in stone with coloured infill
to relief pattern sculpture at rear; 4 double panels of painted screen heavily
restored and repainted to north chancel; 15 Tournai marble ledger slabs
including 2 with shield of Fysh surrounded by 3 fishes, 1742 and 1749. Tower
with arches to east, south and north with hollow chamfers and roll mouldings,
rising from massive lozenge piers with cut off angles. C19 octagonal font.
C16 alms box from poppy head bench end with wrought iron straps and hinges
against south pier of tower.


Listing NGR: TF6626815989

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.