History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cecilia

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Winch, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.708 / 52°42'28"N

Longitude: 0.5395 / 0°32'22"E

OS Eastings: 571664

OS Northings: 315280

OS Grid: TF716152

Mapcode National: GBR P5T.C6P

Mapcode Global: WHKQM.865B

Entry Name: Church of St Cecilia

Listing Date: 15 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077671

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221947

Location: East Winch, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: East Winch

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Gayton

Listing Text

TF 71 NW
6/15

EAST WINCH
WEST BILNEY
Lynn Road
Church of St. Cecilia

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Celilia)

15-8-60

II*

Redundant parish church; C14. Restored 1881. Flint and carstone, stone
dressings, pantiles. West tower, nave; chancel lost. 3 stage west tower
mainly of small flints and carstone, diagonal buttresses, limestone plinth;
embattled parapet, part lost to north, having flint panels, gargoyles to west
and east, coped asbestos roof behind parapet. 2-light Perpendicular west
window with panel tracery; 2nd stage with small trefoil headed light, small
lancets to north and south faces; 3rd stage with 2-light bell openings with
eyelet under 4-centred arch. Tower clasped by nave at east angles. South
nave, mainly carstone, some galleted carstone, some iron conglomerate, 2
buttresses; south doorway with continuous moulding; south door dated 1866.
One opening with Y tracery under 4-centred arch and hoodmould. End 2.5 metres
of dressed limestone and galleted carstone, set back c0.08m from facade from
c.1.5m above ground and upwards; brick quoins to angle to left. East window
as to south nave possibly reset, all window openings probably renewed. East
gable set back c.0.08m above eaves level. North nave with 2 buttresses and
2 openings as to south, that to right with grotesque figure stops and carstone
rubble infill to facade below; to east of left buttress a small C12 blocked
semi-circular opening with decorative head. Memorial plaque to left of red
stone with shield of arms (barry of 4, three estoiles in chief for Freke)
limestone surround with skull and date 1706. North doorway as south, doorway
blocked behind door. Interior: arched recesses to north and south, that to
north wide, that to south with hollow chamfer; 2-tier renewed butt purlin
roof with moulded pine principal rafters and purlins; queen posts, ties and
collars. Moulded rear arches to north and south doorways; C14 octagonal
font with deeply cut octofoils alternating with flowers to faces. Tower with
C18 creed and commandment boards to north, Hanoverian Royal achievement from
between 1801 and 1816 to south. Fittings of 1881.


Listing NGR: TF7166415280

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.