This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6097 / 52°36'34"N
Longitude: 0.2334 / 0°14'0"E
OS Eastings: 551320
OS Northings: 303668
OS Grid: TF513036
Mapcode National: GBR M3X.CT4
Mapcode Global: WHJPQ.KNBP
Entry Name: Goods Office of Former Wisbech and Upwell Tramway
Listing Date: 2 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221867
Location: Outwell, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Outwell
Built-Up Area: Upwell
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Outwell St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Goods Office of
TF 50 SW
former Wisbech and
9/81 Upwell Tramway
Tramway goods office. Circa 1883. Red brick in Flemish bond slate hipped roof
with deep eaves.
Small rectangular plan, probably single cell, building with entrance in the south
end from the road.
Single storey. No windows on north end but central doorway with segmental arch and
C19 4-panel door. Two segmental arch window openings on west side with stone cill
and 16-pane metal frame windows. The north end and east side are blind.
Interior not inspected.
Note The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway, authorised in 1882 and built by the Great
Eastern Railway was the last section to survive of a larger system. It provided a
rail link between Wisbech and the Outwell-Upwell area. This section of 7 3/4 miles
runs along the Wisbech to Outwell Canal. The Tramway has been described as a "cross
between the railway proper and ordinary Tram" with wagons and small screened-in
locomotives, running across and alongside roads and canals. The coaches were
provided with gangways and end steps because the stations did not have platforms;
but the main purpose of the line was agricultural. The line was closed to
passengers in 1929 and closed altogether in 1966. Reverend W Awdry, the author of
'Toby the Tram Engine' was for a time the vicar of Emneth, a parish through which
the tramway ran.
This goods office at the Outwell Village Depot is the last survivor of a series of
offices on the tramway.
Sources: C Hawkins and G Reeve, The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway (Wild Swan
Publications). D I Gordon, A Regional History of The Railways of Great Britain, The
Eastern Counties, Vol V, page 224.
Listing NGR: TF5132003668
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings