History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crimplesham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6061 / 52°36'22"N

Longitude: 0.4431 / 0°26'35"E

OS Eastings: 565531

OS Northings: 303729

OS Grid: TF655037

Mapcode National: GBR N5J.QT9

Mapcode Global: WHJPT.SR5F

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 8 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221658

Location: Crimplesham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Crimplesham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Crimplesham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
West Dereham

Listing Text

TF 60 SE CRIMPLESHAM CHURCH ROAD

4/3 Church of St. Mary
8.7.59
- II*

Parish church. C12 nave, late C14 west tower, early C17 south porch, chancel
rebuilt 1875 when church restored. Rendered carstone nave and flint chancel,
Slate roofs. 3 stage tower with diagonal west buttresses displaying carstone
flushwork. Cusped 3-light west window under 4-centred arch. Slit light to
ringing chamber. 2-light cusped belfry windows blocked with honeycomb brick-
work, that to east of one light. String course below ashlar crenellated
parapet. Stair turret to south-east. C19 cusped lancet to west of brick
south porch, now so extensively restored the bonding is indeterminate. Blocked
square-headed side windows. Stepped diagonal buttresses frame 4-centred
double hollow chamfered arch under hood mould. Polygonal capitals and
responds. Statuary niche and gabled roof. South door of C12 : one order
columns with cushion capitals and moulded bases. Square imposts support arch
decorated with'cable, hollow and double billet mouldings. Tympanum blocked
in C20. On east jamb an inscribed mass dial. South nave continues with one
mid C14 2-light mouchette window and C19 2-light cusped Y window. Chancel
pierced by 2 lancets north and south, priests' door to south and 3 stepped
lancets to east wall. East gable of nave with C19 trefoil. C19 vestry over
north nave door. One C12 lancet to east and 3-light C19 window to east again.
Interior. Double chamfered tower arch. Late C15 tower screen : wide side
bays and central gates. Dado with linenfold panelling of rudimentary form
below inscription frieze (ORATE PRO BONO STATU THOME WYHER, DIACON which
refers to Thomas Wyther of North Weald Basset, Essex, from where this screen
was removed). Tracery in dado of gates. Upper tracery panels blocked but
with pendant tracery head of late C17 origin. East coving of 3 4-centred
arches with ribs and mouchette infill also late C15 but not originally part
of this screen., North and south inner door arches and jambs of C12. C14
octagonal font. Thin C19 hammerbeam roof to nave with pierced arched braces
to hammerbeams. 2 tiers of purlins. Chancel arch of early C13 origin but
now largely C19. Scissor braced chancel roof.


Listing NGR: TF6553103729

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.