History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Rudham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.821 / 52°49'15"N

Longitude: 0.7106 / 0°42'38"E

OS Eastings: 582742

OS Northings: 328274

OS Grid: TF827282

Mapcode National: GBR Q61.0H0

Mapcode Global: WHKQ3.WCJ5

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077780

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221588

Location: East Rudham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: East Rudham

Built-Up Area: East Rudham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: East with West Rudham

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
East Rudham

Listing Text

TF 8228 EAST RUDHAM FAKENHAM ROAD (north)

12/5 Church of St. Mary.
5.6.53.
II*

Parish Church. Largely rebuilt 1876. C11, c.1200 evidence in chancel, C13 south
transept, C15 south porch. Rubble and knapped flint, stone dressings, C20
replacement concrete pantile roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and aisles, south
porch and south aisle transept chapel, 3 bay chancel. West tower 1876, rebuilt
after collapse. South porch has knapped flint south face and set-off buttresses
only. C.1876 entrance arch, C15 nodding ogee head niche above with rectangular
drip mould head and armorial panel base. Blocked brick dressed north and south
openings. 1876 rib vaulted roof, with central C15 boss of Holy Trinity. C.1300
moulded arch door with C.1300 label stop heads. 2 3-light south and north aisle
windows. 4 north and south 3-light clerestorey windows, all 1876 rebuilding,
Perpendicular details. Fine south aisle transept chapel has late C13 4-light
window with trefoil heads to each light, with outer rounded trefoils and minor
pointed trefoils in spandrels above, all under outer pointed segmental arch
with drip mould heads. 2 south and single returned east and west set off
buttresses. Floriated gable cross. West return has single octofoil round window,
east has 2 3-light intersected tracery windows under drip mould heads with
label stops. Chancel south side has 2 c.1200 lancets, inserted C15 3-light
tracery window at west. South priests door c.1876. Simple clasping quoined
east end buttresses, returned round angles. 5-light c.1876 Decorated east
window. Interior: 4 bay north and south arcades and roofs all 1876. South
transept piscina. Chancel has Norman piscina on pillar with interlace top knob
bowl. See H.J. Durkinfield Astley Two Norfolk Villages (Norwich 1900) pp.ll-23.


Listing NGR: TF8274228274

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.