History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block 10 Metres to North East of Barwick House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barwick, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8904 / 52°53'25"N

Longitude: 0.6804 / 0°40'49"E

OS Eastings: 580420

OS Northings: 335911

OS Grid: TF804359

Mapcode National: GBR Q50.YMF

Mapcode Global: WHKPQ.FM61

Entry Name: Stable Block 10 Metres to North East of Barwick House

Listing Date: 18 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221540

Location: Barwick, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Barwick

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Stanhoe All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Stanhoe

Listing Text

TF 83 NW BARWICK LITTLE BARWICK
4/9 Stable block 10 metres
to north-east of Barwick
House.
G.V. II
Stable block. 1742. English bond, red brick with black brick stretchers and
smut pantiled roof. 2 storeys, 6 bays. 2 bay centre, single outer bays and
2 broken forward cart entrance bays with semi-dormer gables. Centre has 4
ground floor sashes with glazing bars under cambered brick arches, 2 boarded
doors under segmental rubbed brick arches. 2 first floor boarded loft window
openings. Entrance gable bays have ground floor segmental rubbed brick arches
with keystones to cart entrances, partly filled in with brick. Boarded doors
with rectangular over door lights. 2 brick string courses above arch. Eaves
level semi-dormers have single central l'oeil de boeuf windows with round arch
surrounds with 4 keystones. Shaped gable above has 2 stone roundels with
pedestals, brick coped parapet forming pediment at apex. Outer bays have single
ground floor boarded doors. Facade articulated by raised brick end quoins
at corners, brick plinth and 3 course moulded brick eaves cornice. South gable
has first floor brick blank arch with lower casement and upper brick in-fill,
semi-circular arch with brick imposts and keystone. Stone date plaque above
in arched niche with "RG 1742" for Robert Glover. Tumbled gable parapet.
North gable has similar arch with boarded loft door. Rear has 3 ground floor
openings, 8 first floor openings: 6 honeycomb openings, one loft door and one
window. Built by Robert Glover, also responsible for Barwick House (q.v.),
Carriage block (q.v.) and Ivy farm barn, Stanhoe (q.v.).


Listing NGR: TF8042035911

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.