History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bircham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8731 / 52°52'23"N

Longitude: 0.6277 / 0°37'39"E

OS Eastings: 576950

OS Northings: 333856

OS Grid: TF769338

Mapcode National: GBR Q54.X33

Mapcode Global: WHKPW.M14R

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221542

Location: Bircham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Bircham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: The Birchams and Bagthorpe

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Bircham Newton

Listing Text

TF 73 SE BIRCHAM BIRCHAM NEWTON
7/11 Church of All Saints.
5.6.53.
- II*
Parish Church. C13, perhaps of 2 builds incorporating earlier church. Flint
with stone dressings, pantiled nave and slated chancel roofs. West tower,
2 bay nave, 2 bay chancel. Unbuttressed tower, 4 stages. 2 paired ground
floor west lancets, single middle stage lancet, 4 bell stage lancets,
battlemented parapet. South nave door c.1300. 2 paired lancets, internally
with single embrasure. Straight joint suggests 2 builds to nave. Nave north
with c.1300 door opening only. Chancel has later C13 details : 2 'Y' tracery
south windows and 3 light intersected tracery east window. Blank north face,
with C19 vestry addition. Interior: Norman rectangular font with tapering
sides. Box pews, with poppyheads with pricket candle-holders, signed on north
side "P. Jarrett Church Warden 1858". Contemporary 2 decker pulpit. Chancel
arch perhaps Norman, round arch with simple imposts. Arms of George III.
Early English piscina with cusped trefoil headed arch. C14 stone coffin lid
effigy of priest, with heart in hands, nodding ogee arch with sun and crescent
moon with face of a child in tympanum.


Listing NGR: TF7695033856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.