History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Docking Hall Including Service Court Attached to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Docking, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8999 / 52°53'59"N

Longitude: 0.626 / 0°37'33"E

OS Eastings: 576721

OS Northings: 336837

OS Grid: TF767368

Mapcode National: GBR Q4Y.338

Mapcode Global: WHKPP.LC9P

Entry Name: Docking Hall Including Service Court Attached to East

Listing Date: 18 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221558

Location: Docking, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Docking

Built-Up Area: Docking

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Docking St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Docking

Listing Text

TF 7636 DOCKING HIGH STREET (south)

11/27 Docking Hall including
service court attached
to east.

II

Country house. Early C17, perhaps 1612 for John Hare, purchased from Earl
of Sussex 1597. High Victorian details and south additions 1858, by Ewan
Christian, architect, a connection of the Hare family. Red brick north front,
flint with brick dressed west return and south additions, slate roofs. 2
storeys with attics. 'E' plan, early C17 north range has central single bay
porch 2 bay wings, single bay cross wings, all gabled. Cross wings have one
ground floor 4-light, and one first floor 3-light casement cross window, one
attic 3-light casement. Central 2 storey porch has ground floor polychrome
brick and tile arches, one first floor casement cross window. Gable has coat
of arms, kneelers and parapet with stone pedestal with kneeling heraldic beast
and metal finials. Flanking gabled bays have 2 ground and 2 first floor case-
ment cross windows, one attic 2-light window. All windows C19 plate glass.
South return has flint external stack and south gable of 'E' plan. 5 bay
south front 1858, flint with brick banding and dressings. Prominent sets
of stacks: 3 on west and 4 on east gables of 'E' plan block, 3 and 2 in valley
of south addition, 2, 3 and 5 on south gables, all 1858 brick octagonal shafts
with moulded bases and caps. Attached at east flint, brick and fishscale
slate roofed 3 bay service wing. 3 first floor semi-dormer gable casement
cross window, 2 2-shaft brick stacks. Service court attached at rear has
at east flint and brick Gothic arch carriage gate with prominent corbelled
out brick cornice. At north gable wash house with 2-shaft ridge stacks.


Listing NGR: TF7672136837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.