This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6801 / 52°40'48"N
Longitude: 0.4751 / 0°28'30"E
OS Eastings: 567417
OS Northings: 312027
OS Grid: TF674120
Mapcode National: GBR P5Y.T3N
Mapcode Global: WHKQL.8WHR
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077839
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221527
Location: Wormegay, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Wormegay
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wormegay St Michael and All Angels and Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 61 SE WORMEGAY SAXON WAY
2/53 Church of St Michael
Parish church. Late C14 west tower, continuous nave and chancel of C13 origin,
the former rebuilt 1893 by C H Loht of London, the latter completely altered.
Carstone, some sandstone and ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roof. 3 stage tower,
but outwardly of 2 stages. Diagonal buttresses to second stage have carved shields
within quatrefoils on plinths. 2-light 4-centred west window of Perpendicular
tracery. Relief carving above of Crucifixion of medieval date. String course below
2-light segmental pointed belfry windows. Restored crenellated parapet. Polygonal
stair tower to south-west added 1896. One buttress to nave and chancel south side.
Arched south door and 5 C19 windows : paired lancet, single lancet, 2-light square
headed and 2 2-light Perpendicular chancel windows. 3-light east window C15 with
supermullions and stepped transoms. North side of church with same fenestration as
south, a blocked door to chancel and a diagonal buttress at west end. Interior. Tall
double chamfered tower arch. Late C14 octagonal font, the bowl decorated with shields
within quatrefoils. Roof of moulded arched braces alternately dropping to corbels
at wall plate or to wall posts with capitals and bases. Moulded collars carry
braces to principals and ridge piece. Ashlaring, wind-bracing and 2 tiers moulded
butt purlins. Main arched brace at original division of nave and chancel is trefoiled
each side. Medieval tomb slab with foliated latin cross in chancel. To right and
left of each window an ogeed cusped and sub-cusped niche within square surround
of late C14. Substantial remains of paint including painted lierne vaults.
Listing NGR: TF6741712027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.