This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8724 / 52°52'20"N
Longitude: 0.496 / 0°29'45"E
OS Eastings: 568085
OS Northings: 333469
OS Grid: TF680334
Mapcode National: GBR P3N.S8H
Mapcode Global: WHKPT.L2D7
Entry Name: The Mill
Listing Date: 16 May 1977
Last Amended: 8 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221441
Location: Snettisham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Snettisham
Built-Up Area: Snettisham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Snettisham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
383/4/55 STATION ROAD
(Formerly listed as:
Watermill with attached later granary. 1800, as per inscription, with a mid Cl9 granary. Carstone with brick dressings and quoins. Squared carstone to lower part of south facade whilst other parts of the original building in coursed rubble with brickwork to the walls of tail race and bypass channel. Granary with random laid carstone. Roofs of pantiles. Two stories with attic floor to mill building. Granary and mill each with a separate hipped roof. Easternmost bay houses the waterwheel. South facade of mill with boarded stable-door, shuttered two-light window and one unglazed two-light window to wheel bay. Brick semicircular relieving arch with flush tympanum on timber framework over tailrace. Inscription on stone plaque above reading: This mill was erected in a time of scarcity by voluntary subscription for the common benefit of the neighbourhood. AD 1800. 'Discite Justiciam moniti et non tempere leges',(Virgil, "Leges" replacing "Divos"). One shuttered two-light window to floor above. Granary with three cart entrances beneath segmental brick arches. Boarded double doors. Single boarded double door to upper floor with railing to mid height. East gable-end with large doorway across by pass channel into wheel chamber. Glazed two-light casement window above. Sluice to mill pond side of by-pass channel. North facade with one two-light casement window with glazing bars and a boarded door. Granary with two two-light windows with horizontal glazing bars.
INTERIOR. Waterwheel with ventilated metal buckets and integral pitwheel driving the fine timber vertical drive shaft via the wallower. Tentering gear to two pairs of stones. Sluice crank to north. Great spur wheel above driving two sets of stones via cast iron stone nuts, and unusually also driving a further set of stones on the attic floor above, in this case with a timber stone nut. The lower two pairs of stones are over-driven, a very uncommon feature in watermills. Crown wheel clamped to great spur wheel driving a horizontal facetted shaft which powers a roller mill and the sack hoist. Roof structure of wedge-tenoned butt purlins. Lapped tenons in common mortise. One tie beam. Granary roof with dove-tailed collars and double tie beams.
SOURCE: Nott, R. "Subscription Mill, Snettisham" Proceedings of the TIMS 6th International Symposium on Molinology, Belgium 1986.
This mill retains all its machinery, is in working order, and is a remarkable survival. There is also the historic interest in that it was built by public subscription on a co-operative basis for the benefit of the whole parish.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings