This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6198 / 52°37'11"N
Longitude: 0.5243 / 0°31'27"E
OS Eastings: 570977
OS Northings: 305437
OS Grid: TF709054
Mapcode National: GBR P6S.MCW
Mapcode Global: WHKR0.0DYY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077859
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221477
Location: Barton Bendish, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Barton Bendish
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Barton Bendish St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 70 NW BARTON BENDISH
6/3 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C14, restored 1788-89, 1858, 1871, west door C12 moved from
church of All Saints 1789. Brick, rubble and carstone, partly rendered.
Thatched nave and chancel roofs. West door mid C12 : 2 orders shafts, the
inner bobbin moulded, the outer circular with modified beakhead; arches above
foliated scalloped capitals similar, but with properly formed beakhead. Hood
mould with dogtooth. 2-light west window of 1858 in Geometric style. Gable
head of flint carrying bell-cote of 1871. Plain arched south door. 2-light
early C14 Y tracery window with mouchette infill to east. Nave east gable
on moulded kneelers. 2-light reticulated chancel window, ogeed priest's door
with finial, 3-light C19 square-headed window with arched lights. East gable
on ashlar kneelers with grotesque heads. 3-light reticulated east window
with sub-cusping. North chancel with gabled C19 vestry and reticulated 2-
light window. 2-light mouchette window to nave. Interior. Double chamfered
chancel arch on corbels. Window embrasures of various sizes, all with rere
arches. Set of plain box pews of 1789, cut down 1865. Boarded and plastered
scissor braced nave and chancel roofs. Segmental pointed arch to vestry with
square hood terminating in late C14 head stops. Foliage carving in spandrels.
Remains of wall painting on south nave wall depicts St. Katherine and wheel.
Listing NGR: TF7097705437
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings