This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8639 / 52°51'49"N
Longitude: 0.5054 / 0°30'19"E
OS Eastings: 568752
OS Northings: 332537
OS Grid: TF687325
Mapcode National: GBR P3V.GKW
Mapcode Global: WHKPT.Q8VV
Entry Name: Ingoldisthorpe Hall
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221397
Location: Ingoldisthorpe, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Ingoldisthorpe
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ingoldisthorpe St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 63 SE INGOLDISTHORPE BRICKLEY LANE (west)
4/13 Ingoldisthorpe Hall.
Country House. Dated 1757. Built as Mount Amelia for John Davy Esq.
Red brick of high quality. English bond with raised pointing; stone and
stucco dressings, slated roofs, carstone wings. 2 storey 5 bay centre
set on half-basement, 2 parallel wings of irregular bay rhythm. West
front to Park has 4 half-basement, 4 ground and 5 first floor sashes with
glazing bars under flat rubbed brick arches with brick dressings. Central
stone stairs with simple cast iron baluster railings to central entrance.
Wooden architrave with fluted pilasters, richly detailed Corinthian capitals,
frieze with Rococo motifs, modillion cornice. Glazed French doors with
2 fixed lights above. 2 lead downpipes with initials RD and date 1757,
with heraldry. Stone cornice with stuccoed parapet above with lugged
angles and central lugged pedestal. Parapet returned with sweeps and
stacks. Hipped roof. East entrance front has brick of lesser quality,
5 bays with additional central porch c.1820. 4 ground floor arched headed
windows, 4 ground and 4 first floor straight-headed rubbed brick arched
windows, all sashes with glazing bars. 2 downpipes, 1757. 2 storey porch
with abstract Greek Revival stuccoed pilaster strips with entablature
continued on returns. Central 2 leaf raised and fielded 3 panel doors.
First floor landing window, sash with glazing bars, stucco architrave.
Returns single ground floor sash with margin lights and abstract stuccoed
panel with cornice to attic, eaves cornice, and stuccoed parapet to porch
and main block. Carstone wings of irregular fenestration mainly sashes
with glazing bars, with stuccoed parapet and swept north and south gables.
Later C19 additional pile attached to east of north wing. Interior: at
west ground floor hall with central stucco Zeus eagle with thunderbolts.
Inner hall has repositioned stairs of 1757 now projecting into c.1820
porch: carved string, one turned and one fluted baluster on urn base to
each tread. First floor landing arch of c.1757 with inserted late C18
carved panel and C20 doors. Ground floor at south has one mid C18 marble
fireplace with central sunburst head, egg and dart architrave and additional
c.1820 brackets to shelf. Ground floor at north opening from hall through
arch c.1820; mid C18 fireplace with egg and dart moulding, c.1820 frieze.
Both rooms with panelled dados, plaster moulded panelling above. First
floor 2 principal rooms on west front have panelled north and south walls
with mid-C18 fireplaces. Good 6 panelled raised and fielded doors throughout.
Listing NGR: TF6875232537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings