History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Red House and Garden Walls Attached to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Thornham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9596 / 52°57'34"N

Longitude: 0.5748 / 0°34'29"E

OS Eastings: 573044

OS Northings: 343353

OS Grid: TF730433

Mapcode National: GBR P2S.G4Q

Mapcode Global: WHKP8.SVXY

Entry Name: The Red House and Garden Walls Attached to South

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Last Amended: 20 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221283

Location: Thornham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE36

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Thornham

Built-Up Area: Thornham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Thornham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Thornham

Listing Text

TF 73 43 THORNHAM HIGH STREET
(north)

8/101 The Red House and Garden
5/6/53 Walls attached to South
(Formerly listed as Red House)
- II

House. Mid C18. Flemish bond red brick, black glazed pantiled roofs. 3
bay, 3 storey centre with 2 storey single bay lean-to wings. 2 2-storey
canted-side 3 bay brick bow windows, 3 sashes with glazing bars, ground floor
under flat rubbed brick arches with central painted keystones, first floor
under flat leaded roof. Central wooden doorcase, entablature broken forward
over half columns, simple glazing bar fanlight under open pediment. 6 panel
door. First floor central sash with glazing bars with ogee switch tracery
division and arched head with fanlight, brick arch with painted imposts and
keystone. 2nd floor has 2 outer Diocletian sashes with glazing bars under
segmental soldier arches with central painted keystone. Central sash window with
glazing bars with arched upper sash having switch tracery division, soldier
arch with painted imposts and keystone. Moulded brick cornice, hipped roof
with 2 eaves parapet stacks. Slightly recessed wings with one ground floor
arch headed sash with glazing bars, one first floor casement with arched head,
switch tracery division, both under brick soldier arch with painted keystones
and imposts, lean-to roofs. Continued to rear as 2 storey outshut. Tripartite
dormer, canted sides, sashes with glazing bars, flat roofed. Walled garden
to south, wall to west with flint west face, brick to east : wall at east
all brick. Parapet dwarf wall and railings to south are post 1939 neo-Georgian
and not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TF7304443353

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.