This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9363 / 52°56'10"N
Longitude: 0.4964 / 0°29'47"E
OS Eastings: 567867
OS Northings: 340573
OS Grid: TF678405
Mapcode National: GBR P2W.SDC
Mapcode Global: WHKPF.LGL9
Entry Name: Smithdon School Including Main Block Water Tower Workshops and Kitchens
Listing Date: 30 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221299
Location: Hunstanton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE36
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Hunstanton
Built-Up Area: Hunstanton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hunstanton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HUNSTANTON KINGS LYNN ROAD
TF 64 SE
213/1/10001 Smithdon School
inc. main block,
Secondary school. 1950-54. Alison and Peter Smithson.
Painted steel frame with buff sandlime brick infill. Flat
roof. Windows originally of steel, without subframes, but now
many of these have been changed to timber. 2 storeys, with
single storeyed workshops and kitchens to north. Compact,
almost symmetrical rectangular plan around two courtyards,
with central double-height hall spanning two main ranges.
Classrooms fully glazed, with obscured panels below cill
height. Ground floor of lower proportions then upper floor.
Steel framed water tower with steel tanks, between main block
and attached kitchen, and brick chimney adjacent. An
important building with innovative steelwork designed on the
R. Banham, New Brutalism;
T. Dannatt, Modern Architecture in Britain.
Listing NGR: TF6786740573
Other nearby listed buildings