History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Heacham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9128 / 52°54'46"N

Longitude: 0.499 / 0°29'56"E

OS Eastings: 568130

OS Northings: 337968

OS Grid: TF681379

Mapcode National: GBR P38.6ZN

Mapcode Global: WHKPM.M1TS

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221183

Location: Heacham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Heacham

Built-Up Area: Hunstanton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Heacham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Heacham

Listing Text

TF 6837 HEACHAM CHURCH LANE
(north) and
9/3 HUNSTANTON ROAD
(east)
5/6/53
Church of St. Mary
the Virgin.

G.V. I

Parish Church. Late C13 cruciform plan with C15 and later alterations. Flint
and slated nave, aisles, south porch, clerestorey, crossing tower;and flint,
carstone and lead roofed chancel. West gable large 5-light Decorated window
divided by battlemented transoms, elaborate tracery in head. Buttresses.
South aisle 4 3-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds; north aisle
4 similar windows, C19 tracery. Perpendicular clerestorey, 4 rounded oculi
on south, 4 quatrefoils on north. Central crossing tower with higher roof
pitch visible, transepts replaced by c.1800 vestry on south with 3-light
switch tracery window with east and west south walls of transepts retained
as buttresses, on east with blocked perhaps Decorated window. Tower with
south-east stairs turret, 2 blocked lancets on north and south faces, 4 belfry
oculi, brick battlements and C18 hood and leaded cupola. North transept
replaced c.1800 with additional east bay continuation of the north aisle,
with 3-light switch tracery window and massive carstone buttress wedge rising
to height of bell chamber with openings at this level. Chancel flint, clunch
and carstone chequerwork, on south early C19 straight headed 3-light switch
tracery window and 4-light east window. c.1300 south priest's door, early
C19 lean-to vestry on north. South porch Perpendicular, knapped flint south
face to churchyard, rubble flint east and west, stone dressings, niche with
miniature vault. Early C19 brick dressings. Interior: springing of no longer
extant vault, south door c.1300 2 orders of detached shafts with bases
and capitals, richly moulded arch. Nave 5 bay north and south arcades c.1300,
alternating octagonal or cylindrical piers with seat-bases, capitals, double
hollow chamfered arches, hood-moulds with carved head label stops. Crossing
c.1300 but altered : western arch tallest with octagonal half columns carrying
stilted arch with some red scroll painting, and on east return detached shafts
cut off below capital level. North arch with 3 attached Early English style
shafts with bases and capitals, to south octagonal corresponding with those
of nave. East arch and piers, scroll work c.1300. St. John Baptist figure
painting on south west crossing pier. c.1500 rood screen, one-light divisions
and tracery panels. Stalls mid C19. Lack of sedilia and piscina suggests
c.1800 truncation or rebuilding of chancel. Monument 1830 to Nicholas Styleman
Esq., by J.B. Armer, Snettisham, sculptor on Adam/Neo Classical style of
c.1775. Nave : square stone font with quatrefoils, set on cruciform steps.
Good collection of C18 wall tablets to Rolfe family of Heacham Hall, 8 Rolfe
hatchments. Royal Arms George III. North aisle tomb Jacobean classical 1625
to Robert Redmayne; standing monument, stone, slate and polychromy.


Listing NGR: TF6813037968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.