This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8273 / 51°49'38"N
Longitude: 0.0156 / 0°0'56"E
OS Eastings: 538996
OS Northings: 216214
OS Grid: TL389162
Mapcode National: GBR KBG.JR2
Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.7B3K
Entry Name: New Hall
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356065
Location: Wareside, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Wareside
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wareside Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 31NE WARE RURAL FANHAMS HALL ROAD
2/50 New Hall
(Formerly listed under General)
House. Late C15 open hall house on a moated site, converted by
extension in C17 to a house intended for occupation by 2
households. Timber frame roughcast, some brick. Steep old red
tile roofs. E plan house facing N with several gabled rear
projections. Former open hall (part smoke blackened) in centre
part with jettied W crosswing for parlour and a service bay. In
C17 unusual transformation for two households. Upper floor
inserted in hall (heightened) and chimney stack built partly in
crosspassage. Present wide fireplace and chimney shafts are
late C17 probably replacing a timber chimney serving the hall.
This is unit 1 with a lobby entrance beside the stack. For the
2nd unit the service bay was heightened, its upper floor raised,
and a jettied E crosswing added with 2 ground floor rooms, the
front room unheated but the rear with a wide kitchen fireplace.
Unit 2 was entered by the present crosspassage behind the stack.
There were separate front doors, side by side, and similar
staircase positions. 2-storeys, 5-windows. In the centre are
twin doors with round-arched panelling under a porch having
scratch moulded panelling and 2 seats inside. The porch is 2-
storeyed, the upper room having a casement window and a
bargeboarded gable, and being supported on timber posts. The bay
at either side of the porch has 2 triple-casement windows (one
above, one below) in flush moulded frames with pointed 'Gothic'
arches, the lower ones with small hoods. Each end bay is a
slightly projecting cross wing having steep gables with
bargeboards and finials. The right hand bay retains its jettied
upper floor supported on brackets, and a small canted bay window
below. The left hand wing has a rectangular triple casement on
the ground floor. Both end wings have a triple casement on the
upper floor, with 'Gothic' fenestration under a triangular
pediment. Central chimney stack with clustered diagonal shafts.
A painted brick wing on the left to the rear is dated 1866.
Interior has much scratch moulded oak panelling, heavy late C17
stair with string and turned balusters (W part), marble buffet in
rear wall, heavy crown-post roof to W crosswing. (VCH (1912)
391: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3899616214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings