History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Morley Hall and Former Stables Attached on South

A Grade II Listed Building in Wareside, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8192 / 51°49'9"N

Longitude: 0.0113 / 0°0'40"E

OS Eastings: 538723

OS Northings: 215312

OS Grid: TL387153

Mapcode National: GBR KBG.X8G

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.4JTR

Entry Name: Morley Hall and Former Stables Attached on South

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356074

Location: Wareside, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wareside

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wareside Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(south side)
Morley Hall and
2/56 former stables attached
on south
24.1.67 (Formerly listed as Morley House
under General)

House. C17. C18 and C20, remodelled in Palladian style by
Raymond Erith for Buxton family in 1956,'JFB 1956' on rainwater
head at E end. Stucco with stone dressings and hipped slate
roofs to main block at N. Gabled and jettied 2-storeys C17
timberframed and tiled block adjoining on S, and stables of red
brick with weatherboarded upper floor and steep hipped slate
roof, next on S, 2-storeys, 2-windows, parapeted ballroom wing at
W end of N wing added in 1930's. Relatively plain 2-storeys, 5-
windows N front with central door. Chamfered stone plinth,
stucco lined as ashlar of varied course heights with flat arches,
heavy modillioned cornice, recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes
and upper windows smaller, 6-panel studded double doors in a
giant stone surround with full entablature, upward converging
jambs and carved scrolled trusses. The eastern part of this 2-
windows deep N range replaced a Victorian house and conservatory.
S side of N block is a conceit designed to appear as if the
(older) C17 cottaqe had been built against the centre of a 2-
storeys pedimented villa with flanking 2-storeys towers with
heavy modillioned cornices, which would be revealed, if it were
to be removed. Inside, the entrance hall has 2 large Tuscan
columns at the W end screening the staircase. The inner hall is
circular with a wide circular qallery and coved upper ceiling and
square lantern. Fine proportions and delicate plasterwork,
especially in the Dining Room.

Listing NGR: TL3872315312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.