History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tower of the Old Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Long Marston, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.832 / 51°49'55"N

Longitude: -0.7036 / 0°42'13"W

OS Eastings: 489425

OS Northings: 215611

OS Grid: SP894156

Mapcode National: GBR D2W.2Y3

Mapcode Global: VHDV6.R6CY

Entry Name: Tower of the Old Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355756

Location: Tring Rural, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring Rural

Built-Up Area: Long Marston

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Long Marston

Listing Text

SP 8915
(North side)
Long Marston
8/120 Tower of the Old Church
30.11.66 of All Saints
Church tower. C15 (rest of church demolished 1883 and features
incorporated in new Church of All Saints in Tring Road (q.v.)). Flint
rubble faced with uncoursed knapped flint chequered with Totternhoe
stone and with dressings of the same stone. C18 red brick crenellations
and some restored heads to top openings. A slender square tower of 2
stages with diagonal buttresses and offsets, string course below upper
stage, and low plinth. Small bell-stage openings, that on N complete
with 4-centred pointed head and blind spandrels. Large W window of lower
stage of 3 cinquefoiled lights with remains of leaded glazing. Narrow
chamfered slit window to upper stage on E and S. Tall chancel arch of 2
chamfered orders blocked in rough stonework with pointed arched head
over battened door. The interior is plastered and there is a scarsement
below the heavily beamed floor of the bell chamber just above head of W
window. 2 pairs of bull-nosed stone corbels set in N wall. Roof
structure decayed and rubbish but no fittings in base of tower. The
church was a chapel-of-ease in Tring parish up to 1867 and formerly had
an aisleless nave, chancel, and S porch which were demolished in 1883.
An architect's report on the ruinous state of the church in 1881 is
printed as appendix I by Vincent. (VCH(1908)291:RCHM(1911)223 no. 2:
Pevsner(1977)245: Vincent(1983).

Listing NGR: SP8942515611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.