History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 24 and Former Brewery Buildings Attached at Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7935 / 51°47'36"N

Longitude: -0.662 / 0°39'43"W

OS Eastings: 492375

OS Northings: 211381

OS Grid: SP923113

Mapcode National: GBR F4N.FGZ

Mapcode Global: VHFRW.G5XZ

Entry Name: Number 24 and Former Brewery Buildings Attached at Rear

Listing Date: 21 September 1951

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078035

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355711

Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring

Built-Up Area: Tring

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP 9211
(South side)
No. 24 and former brewery
buildings attached at rear
(Formerly listed as No 24)
House and attached brewery, now shop and business premises. Early C18,
stucco front early C19. Red brick, in house painted or stuccoed, with
hipped steep slated roofs. A large 3-windows, 3-storeys house facing N
onto pavement with roof extended to left over painted brick gateway with
'TRING BREWERY.' in stucco raised letters with a reeded frame with
corner paterae and lion masks and cambered stucco panel with incised
border above elliptical gauged arch with stucco keystone and imposts as
entrance to carriageway into brewery yard paved with granite setts.
Symmetrical stucco house front with plinth interrupted by bases of 4
giant order pilasters framing a central bay with heavy round arched
moulded doorway to 6-panel flush-beaded recessed door and radial
margin-light fanlight, up 2 steps and slightly wider flanking bays with
one window to each floor. Cornice above moulded frames of lst floor
windows with bracketed sills and recessed 10/10 panes sashes, 3 square
windows to 2nd floor, plain with 5/5 panes sashes and incised panelled
pilasters above giant pilasters of lower part. Wide eaves with dentilled
cornice. A shopfront with moulded cornice to deep projecting fascia has
been inserted on ground floor on left of entrance. Elliptical wooden
rear arch to carriageway. 2- and 3-storeys rear wing in painted brick
with stucco porch block in angle with full entablature. Linked by
single-storey building with sashes, a 2-storeys long brewery building
with higher part at S. Area of wooden louvres on E flank. N end has wide
round arched doorway with small-pane glazed fanlight above boarded
double doors. 3-light small-paned casement over. Ornamental wind-vane on
apex of hipped roof at N end. Known as Brown's Brewery in 1830.

Listing NGR: SP9237511381

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.