This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8005 / 51°48'1"N
Longitude: -0.6233 / 0°37'23"W
OS Eastings: 495028
OS Northings: 212209
OS Grid: SP950122
Mapcode National: GBR F4P.570
Mapcode Global: VHFRX.40VL
Entry Name: The Royal Hotel
Listing Date: 11 February 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355642
Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23
Civil Parish: Aldbury
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Tring
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 91 SE, 5/6
STATION ROAD (south side),
The Royal Hotel
Hotel. 1838 for John Brown, a brewer of Tring, under arrangement with The London and
Birmingham Railway Company. South wing rebuilt in brick in 1860's for Lord Lonsdale and
further modified in 1937. Stuccoed brick, painted brick to west end facing yard, and yellow
stock brick to south wing. Hipped slate roofs with plastered soffits to wide overhangs. A large
square 3-storeys above cellar building facing north, with a long lower 2-storeyed south wing.
Symmetrical north front lined as ashlar with plinth and regularly-spaced pilasters at comers and
flanking the central porch bay. Three windows wide with lower second-storey windows and end
chimneys. Recessed sash windows with moulded surrounds and unusual margin lights to each
sash with central division and vertical sub-divisions. Large square open porch with pilasters and
fluted wooded columns, low square bases, abaci and full entablature surmounted by a simple
decorative cast-iron balustrade. Steps and margin light glazing to the double doors, and
rectangular fanlight. Similar rectangular open porch with balustrade to entrance in south-east
angle with rear wing. East end facing station has plinth comer pilasters and a central sash
window to each floor. 10 recessed sash windows to south wing. Originally named The Harcourt
Arms, but the name was changed between 1845 and 1851 (R.C.H.M. manuscript).
former stables ranges on the south and west sides of the courtyard to the west of the hotel are
not included in this or any other list.
Listing NGR: SP9502812209
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings