History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Aldbury, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8044 / 51°48'15"N

Longitude: -0.601 / 0°36'3"W

OS Eastings: 496555

OS Northings: 212675

OS Grid: SP965126

Mapcode National: GBR F4J.YNY

Mapcode Global: VHFRQ.JXM4

Entry Name: Timbers

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078051

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355646

Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Aldbury

Built-Up Area: Aldbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP 9612
(East side)
12/10 No. 40 (Timbers)
30.11.66 (Formerly listed as Timbers)
House. Early/mid C16 N part, S part rebuilt mid C17, hipped S extension
late C18, restored with N extension 1931. Timber frame on brick sill
with red brick infill panels. Roughcast N gable. Steep old red tile
roofs. A 2-storeys, attic and cellar building facing W with
single-storeys extensions to S and N. Older N part, with attic and
cellar, is an original unheated parlour block serving an open hall to S
replaced in C17 by a similar front-jettied 2 storeys block of matching
floor and roofheight. W front has exposed timbers on both floors and 2
long flush 5-light casement leaded windows on each floor. N half has
heavier wide-spaced uprights and heavy bull-nosed joists. Curious
junction of jetty beams at middle of building. S part has slighter
timbers and plain squared joists. Bottom plate of wall extends to S of
centre where hall originally stood (and the best face of S wall of the N
block is on S, to face into the former hall). Large external S gable
chimney has had a flue added to serve the upper floor of the S part.
Later N gable chimney to serve the parlour. This has chamfered and
stopped joists and axial floor beam, stair trap trimmed by joists in NE
corner, and remains of wall painting c.1600 below the rear staircase
with lozenge geometric painted panels with fleurs-des-lis. (RCHM
Typescript: Davis (1980) No.10).

Listing NGR: SP9655512675

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.