This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3215 / 52°19'17"N
Longitude: -2.0103 / 2°0'37"W
OS Eastings: 399392
OS Northings: 269264
OS Grid: SO993692
Mapcode National: GBR 2G6.GKS
Mapcode Global: VH9ZM.3XK7
Entry Name: Worcester and Birmingham Canal, Lock Number 58 Including Side Pond Retaining Wall and Sluice Immediately South
Listing Date: 1 December 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355192
Location: Tutnall and Cobley, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B60
Civil Parish: Tutnall and Cobley
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Tardebigge
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
The following buildings shall be added:
SO 96 NE TUTNALL AND COBLEY WORCESTER AND
1655-/9/10002 Lock No. 58 including
wall and sluice
Canal lock, side-pond and sluice. Circa 1812-13 with later C19
and C20 repairs. English bond blue and red brick with some
sandstone coping and dressed sandstone wall to side-pond. Narrow
lock, about 14 feet deep with splayed wing walls at either end.
The north wall of the lower west end has integral flight of
steps. Rebuilt wooden gates with mechanical gate-paddle machinery
intact. Remains of side-pond on south side with dressed sandstone
retaining wall and remains of sluice-gate superstructure. NOTE:
The Worcester and Birmingham Canal was authorised in 1791. With
Thomas Cartwright as the engineer work begun at the Birmingham
end in 1795 and it was completed to Tardebigge in 1807. In 1809
Cartwright was replaced by John Woodhouse who built a lift
instead of the proposed flight of docks. Trials for the lifts
started in 1810, but it was abandoned in favour of the locks on
Rennie's advice. In 1812 construction commenced on the Tardebigge
flight and it was completed in 1813. Lock 58 is the top lock of
the flight and the deepest (14ft against 7ft for other locks).
It is on the site of the lift which was dismantled in 1814 but
used in the construction of the Tardebigge flight of locks.
SOURCES: Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp
Listing NGR: SO9939269264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings