This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9581 / 52°57'29"N
Longitude: -1.1297 / 1°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 458557
OS Northings: 340436
OS Grid: SK585404
Mapcode National: GBR LTM.KQ
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.MX73
Entry Name: Church of St Matthias
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458580
Location: Nottingham, NG3
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: St Ann's
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Sneinton St Stephen with St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK54SE ST MATTHIAS ROAD, Sneinton
646-1/4/606 (East side)
12/07/72 Church of St Matthias
Parish church. 1867-68. By TC Hine of Nottingham. Chancel
rebuilt c1950 following war damage. Rockfaced Bulwell stone
with blue lias limestone bands, ashlar dressings and concrete
tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. Plinth.
PLAN: nave with clerestory and western bellcote, apsidal
chancel, vestry and organ chamber, vestigial aisles and
transepts, south porch.
EXTERIOR: apse has conical slate roof and 2 lancets. Nave has
unusual continuous clerestory with cast-iron traceried
windows. West end has appointed arched recess with 2
shouldered doors, and above, a triple lancet. Above again, a
round window with plate tracery and a gabled bellcote with 3
openings. Transepts have coped gables and double lancets, with
a round window above. Vestry, to south-east, has a window on
each side. South porch has coped gable and chamfered pointed
arched doorway. 2 round windows on each side.
INTERIOR: painted brick, has pointed chancel arch and side
arches with round columns and foliage capitals. Oval light
above. Vaulted apse with stained glass windows, 1913 and 1918.
Nave has an unusual truss roof with laminated wood arch braces
on turned wooden arcade posts. Turned wooden struts and
matchboard ceilings. Transepts have 3 stained glass windows,
late C19 and early C20.
Fittings include original octagonal font, square wooden pulpit
on ashlar base, and benches.
Laminated wood was sometimes used for curved roof members in
large C19 buildings, eg King's Cross Station (Lewis Cubitt,
1851) and Lincoln Corn Exchange (Bellamy & Hardy, 1870), and
the Old Malt Cross Music Hall St James's Street, Nottingham
(qv) (Edwin Hill 1877).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 250; Curl JS: Victorian Architecture: London: 1990-:
Listing NGR: SK5855740436
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings