History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rear Entrance Gateway, Steps and Attached Boundary Walls at Toxteth Park Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenbank, Liverpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.3916 / 53°23'29"N

Longitude: -2.9404 / 2°56'25"W

OS Eastings: 337558

OS Northings: 388713

OS Grid: SJ375887

Mapcode National: GBR 7FV.X6

Mapcode Global: WH87F.T00S

Entry Name: Rear Entrance Gateway, Steps and Attached Boundary Walls at Toxteth Park Cemetery

Listing Date: 7 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477116

Location: Liverpool, L8

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Greenbank

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Toxteth St Bede with St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Rock Ferry

Listing Text


392/33/10119 Rear entrance gateway, steps
and attached boundary walls
at Toxteth Park Cemetery

Rear entrance gateway with steps and attached boundary walls at municipal cemetery. The gateway is in line with the main axis, and the walls enclose the cemetery on south, east and west sides. 1856, by TD Barry, possibly altered 1884. Gateway and steps ashlar, Gothic Revival style, similar to the Anglican cemetery chapel. 2 square cells, topped with blind traceried octagonal turrets, each with a moulded 4-centred arched doorway with shafts and fleurons, containing a 3-lobed, traceried wrought iron turnstile. On the inner side, each opening is approached by steps with an intermediate landing, formerly with a blind traceried coping to the balustrade wall. To the east, a plaque inscribed "This entrance opened to the public 25th March 1884". On the outer side, each entrance is flanked by a curved wall and wrought iron railing. Between the entrances, an open arcaded screen, with rusticated plinth and central buttress. Attached on either side, boundary wall with buttresses, red brick with blue brick coping, extending approx. 200m east of the entrance and 300m west. This southern wall is higher than the remainder, and has a deep plinth. The return wall to east is approx. 350m long, that to the west approx. 500m

Listing NGR: SJ3755888713

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.