This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5184 / 51°31'6"N
Longitude: -0.1074 / 0°6'26"W
OS Eastings: 531409
OS Northings: 181644
OS Grid: TQ314816
Mapcode National: GBR N9.1V
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.3319
Entry Name: Ye Olde Mitre Public House
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 10 January 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078281
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477174
Location: Camden, London, EC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Alban Holborn
Church of England Diocese: London
ELY COURT EC1,
YE OLDE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE
(Formerly listed as:THE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE)
Public house. C1773 with early C20 internal remodelling and late C20 extension at rear. MATERIALS: stock brick. Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: front and back bars separated by central servery. Small snug leading off back bar. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. Ground-floor frontage with glazed timber screen, central window with 18 square lights. Right-hand doorway blocked and framed by flat pilasters with Corinthian capitals. To left blocked doorway or hatch. Entablature with dentil cornice. Two first-floor 6/6 horned sash windows with 2-light casements under cambered heads. Timber and glass front with door to southern part of left-hand return. 2 first-floor windows similar to main frontage. 2 blind second-floor windows. Two-storey wing on left of building, 3-light Tudor style windows on ground floor.
INTERIOR: ground-floor bar spaces have extensive panelling, possibly installed in 1920s refitting. Panelled bar counters to front and back bars. Tudor style fireplaces in both bars. Skylight over rear part of rear bar. Corner of the front bar near entrance glazed in to reveal trunk of what is believed to be a cherry tree, marking the boundary of the properties held by the Bishop of Ely and Sir Christopher Hatton. Walls of staircase covered by wide, horizontally laid panels that may date back to late C18 construction. Front upstairs room refitted for public use c1990. HISTORY: The Mitre Tavern believed to be founded in 1546 for the servants at the Bishop of Ely's London house. The site and adjacent properties in Ely Place were cleared after the Crown took over the area in 1772. This public house retains its early C20 plan and fittings almost entirely intact.
Listing NGR: TQ3141181644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings