This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5264 / 51°31'34"N
Longitude: -0.1329 / 0°7'58"W
OS Eastings: 529617
OS Northings: 182481
OS Grid: TQ296824
Mapcode National: GBR G7.90
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.NW2R
Entry Name: Drayton House friends Meeting House and Walls, Railings and Garden to East
Listing Date: 29 May 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477240
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras with St James and Christ Church St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2982SE EUSTON ROAD
798-1/94/1819 (South side)
Friends' Meeting House and walls,
railings and garden to east
Includes: No.30 Drayton House GORDON STREET.
Central Offices of the Religious Society of Friends in
Britain, including offices, meeting halls and library;
separate lettable office accommodation incorporated in Drayton
House to the west of block, completing the symmetry of the
main facade. Completed in 1927 to the designs of Hubert
Lidbetter, ARIBA; Grace and Marsh Ltd. General Contractors.
Steel construction sheathed in brick laid in English bond and
Portland stone dressings; metal framed windows to rear
elevation, otherwise wood sashes, all of original design.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic over basement. Long rectangular
block divided in 3 by 2 interior courtyards; large meeting
house at the centre, square in plan; library at south-east
corner of block; small meeting house, formerly double height
now subdivided, to rear of centre block, windows to south.
Long elevation to Euston Road dominated by tetrastyle in antis
portico, itself framed by bays; this central section, which
marks the extent of the large hall, in Portland stone, with
recessed ranges leading to hall's foyer. Slightly recessed
side ranges of 10 windows each. All openings flat arched
unless otherwise stated. The penultimate ranges to either side
marked by the use of Portland stone, having a semicircular
windows to ground floor, balconied window to first floor set
in moulded architrave, and keyed roundel to second floor.
Cornice band continuous to entire block and separating second
from attic storey. East and west elevations identical and
centred about a distyle-in-antis portico, slightly projecting
from side ranges of 5 windows each.
To east elevation series of terraces and walls lead down to
garden, which is enclosed on north and south by a low Portland
stone wall with railings similar in design to those enclosing
South elevation features projecting range of 5 bays, the
openings round-arched with metal framed windows; bays one and
5 are separated from the centre 3 bays by a recessed range.
The latter 3 windows mark the extent of the former small
INTERIOR: main entrance to offices through east elevation,
into low lobby with stairs to second floor; this overlooks the
east courtyard with circular brick fountain and French doors
opening from corridors to north and south. Most of the
ground-floor corridors and stairs retain original fixtures and
finishes; committee rooms, some of them with moveable
partitions, also retain original panelling, door furniture and
fittings. The library is double height, 3 x 4 bays at east
corner to Endsleigh Gardens. It was sensitively refurbished in
1993, retaining much of the original woodwork, and galleries
to west and north. Great Hall with flat roof coffered, carried
on square piers and pilasters, with galleries on three sides.
Drop acoustic ceiling from line of architrave hides original
ceiling, but this is said to be survive intact above. Railings
and fitted furniture to hall also intact. 3 entrances to hall
foyer from Euston Road; these doors of original design. Small
meeting house of 3 bays to rear, south, has been divided to
provide committee rooms on ground floor. Courtyard between
Drayton House and central block has been partly filled in by
recent 2-storey addition providing extra toilet and other
facilities for Great Hall. The addition has been sensitively
designed. The interior of Drayton House not inspected. It is
said to retain much of its original finishes.
The building retains most of its original character, fittings
and finishes. The interiors are well designed and detailed,
particularly in the east block around the courtyard. Hubert
Lidbetter designed many buildings for the Society of Friends;
this is the most ambitious.
(The Builder: 24 June 1927: 1008).
TQ2982SE GORDON STREET
29/05/96 Drayton House
See under: Nos.173-177 Friends' Meeting House and walls,
railings and garden to east EUSTON ROAD.
Listing NGR: TQ2960382461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings