This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5435 / 51°32'36"N
Longitude: -0.1494 / 0°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 528428
OS Northings: 184359
OS Grid: TQ284843
Mapcode National: GBR B0.MV
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.CGCL
Entry Name: Kent House
Listing Date: 11 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477273
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Haverstock
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Silas the Martyr with Holy Trinity Kentish Town
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2884SW FERDINAND STREET
798-1/64/430 (West side)
11/02/93 Kent House
2 blocks of model low-cost flats and shop. 1935. By Colin
Lucas with Amyas Connell and Basil Ward. For the St Pancras
House Improvement Society (Northern Group). Reinforced
concrete frame with external walls acting as beams carrying
floors; cement skim finish.
EXTERIOR: each block of 5 storeys with roof terrace. Front
elevations have horizontally set metal frame casement windows:
2 bays with vertically stacked balconies, having metal grid
balustrades similar to the roof terrace. Access towers to rear
allow each tenant to step directly off the vertical
circulation on to his own entrance balcony. Block fronting
Ferdinand Street has entrance formed by 2 ground floor bays of
piloti closed off by later geometrically patterned iron gates.
To left, a projecting single storey shop.
INTERIORS: have 2 flats per floor in each block with logically
designed accommodation; no rooms open off one another.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the staircase access, room layouts, generous
useable balconies and total use of electricity for servicing
put Kent House at the forefront of contemporary flat design
with the quality of detailing expected from a private
commission. The flats are a successful early example of Modern
Movement commitment to social housing in this country and were
Connell, Ward and Lucas's only commission of this type.
Listing NGR: TQ2842884359
Other nearby listed buildings