This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5587 / 51°33'31"N
Longitude: -0.1915 / 0°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 525469
OS Northings: 185978
OS Grid: TQ254859
Mapcode National: GBR C5.JDK
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.M2NX
Entry Name: 26 and 26a, Ferncroft Avenue
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078344
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477277
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Luke Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2585NW FERNCROFT AVENUE
798-1/24/433 (North East side)
Nos.26 AND 26A
Detached house and attached former coach/motor house now
converted to a dwelling. 1898, coach/motor house possibly
later. By CHB Quennell; built by GW Hart.
No.26: red brick with tile-hung 1st floor. Tiled hipped and
gabled roofs with overhanging bracketed eaves, tall brick
chimney-stacks and dormer with small gable. Asymmetrical
design. 3 storeys. 3 windows plus single storey 2-window right
hand bay. Left hand gabled bay with canted bowed bay sash
windows to ground having entablature lintel which continues
across the facade on columns and 1st floor with pulvinated
lintel and cornice and tile-hung apron. 3rd floor Venetian
type sash window in gable with short lengths of moulded
cornice at angles to appear as a broken pediment. Central
entrance bay with porch formed by entablature and columns with
enriched capitals and cast-iron and glass hood; part-glazed
panelled door with overlight. To right, a tripartite sash with
corresponding sash at 1st floor and single sash above porch.
Single storey bay has 2 sashes with gauged brick flat arches,
a brick modillion cornice and blocking course.
No.26A: red brick. Tiled hipped and gables roofs with
overhanging eaves and eaves cornice extending across the
gabled left hand bay to form a pediment. Asymmetrical design.
2 storeys. Irregular fenestration of 2 windows. Former vehicle
entrance in gabled bay converted to a window and entrance with
central casement above having relieving arch in pediment with
arrow slit window above. Right hand bay with segmental-arched
window appearing behind a C20 window and staircase leading to
1st floor entrance with porch formed by entablature carried on
a column; 3-light 1st floor window.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
(British Architect: 2 September 1898).
Listing NGR: TQ2546985978
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings