This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5462 / 51°32'46"N
Longitude: -0.1762 / 0°10'34"W
OS Eastings: 526558
OS Northings: 184611
OS Grid: TQ265846
Mapcode National: GBR D1.883
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.WDPJ
Entry Name: South Hampstead High School
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078348
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477281
Location: Camden, London, NW3
London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2684NE FITZJOHN'S AVENUE
798-1/50/437 (East side)
South Hampstead High School
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now converted to a school, on a corner site with
entrance front to Maresfield Gardens. c1883. By JJ Stevenson
probably for Frank Debenham, the store magnate. Red and yellow
brick with terracotta dressings. Tiled gabled roofs with
dormers and tall brick chimney-stacks with moulded brick
patterning and cornices. 3 storeys and attic. Irregular
fenestration. Entrance front of 3 bays. Central recessed bay
with doorway approached by steps with cast-iron railings and
wooden 1st floor balcony having turned balusters and large
central shaped bracket; flanking bays with Flemish gables,
right hand has cartouche in gable and left hand with chimney
rising from the ground floor having an enriched terracotta
plaque and, set diagonally across angle, a full height bay
window. Fitzjohn's Avenue front with full height canted bay.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally known as Oakwood Hall, the house
has connections with the Oakwood Property Company owned by
Debenham and (Sir) Edwin Lutyens; Lutyens was engaged in 1908
to make alterations described as a "terraced shelter", not now
detectable. From the 1950s until the late 1980s in use as a
TAVR (Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve) centre.
Listing NGR: TQ2655884611
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings