This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5505 / 51°33'1"N
Longitude: -0.1763 / 0°10'34"W
OS Eastings: 526542
OS Northings: 185092
OS Grid: TQ265850
Mapcode National: GBR D0.VM9
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.W9N6
Entry Name: St Marys Convent School and Attached Wall with Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078349
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477282
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685SE FITZJOHN'S AVENUE
798-1/38/438 (West side)
St Mary's Convent School and
attached wall with railings and
House, now a school. 1880. By George Lethbridge for LM Casella
with mid C20 attached chapel. Orange brick with all detailing,
features and decoration in fine quality gauged and rubbed
brickwork. Tiled hipped roof with cresting, dormers, tall slab
end stacks, ogee domed belvedere with oculus to a small stair
tower, and moulded brick boxed eaves cornice.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attics. Irregular frontage of 4 bays.
Central porch with arcaded openings in Elizabethan inspired
style and carried out in gauged and rubbed brickwork; crowned
by a terracotta balustrade. To the right, a double height bay
and to left, a double height canted bay; both with panelled
pilasters, keystones, floor cornice, swag and mask enriched
aprons and crowned by balustrades to top floor windows.
Sashes, with patterned glazing to top lights, in moulded
architraves. Central 1st floor sashes with enriched pediments.
INTERIOR: of good quality and little altered, includes
panelling and tiled floors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached brick boundary wall in stepped
sections with piers and panels, cast-iron railings and cast
and wrought-iron gates.
HISTORICAL NOTE: at nearly »10,000 this was an extremely
expensive house to build and its quality is apparent in the
fine brickwork. Casella was the inventor of the clinical
thermometer; his family sold the house in 1927 to its present
owners, St Mary's Convent School.
Apart from the chapel, the C20 extensions by St Mary's Convent
School are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ2654285092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings