This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.93 / 51°55'48"N
Longitude: -1.7237 / 1°43'25"W
OS Eastings: 419092
OS Northings: 225759
OS Grid: SP190257
Mapcode National: GBR 4PW.WJJ
Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.2RL9
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Edward
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126311
Location: Stow-on-the-Wold, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stow-on-the-Wold
Built-Up Area: Stow-on-the-Wold
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stow-on-the Wold St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
1. CHURCH STREET
5224 (north side)
Parish Church of
SP 1925 NW 2/1 25.8.60
Saxon origins, Norman elements to nave, extended C13 and C14. Tower and Clerestory
C15. Restored C17 and C19, including 1873 by J L Pearson. Cruciform plan of
irregular compartments: 4 bay nave with north and south porches, wide aisles, north
transept, tower in south transept position, 3 bay chancel with vestry and organ
chamber. Rubble built with Cotswold stone roof. Ashlar tower and parapets (except
C15 Sanctus bell-cote.
4-stage tower is a conspicuous landmark; corner buttresses to tower 2 stages and
rectangular turret to south-west; embattled and panelled parapet, with pinnacles and
a string course with gargoyles.
Gabled south porch. Shallow C17 north porch masking moulded C13 north door. Three
late tracery windows and one small C13 lancet to north aisle, C14 tracery to south
aisle. Tall C14 (restored) windows to chancel and Pearson's flowing east window.
Good C14 reticulated west window with ogee arch culminating in canopied niche. North
transept probably C13, retains 2 lancets flanking C15 east window. Other Tudor
windows to north of north transept and at west of aisles. Square headed clerestory
windows with stilted drip moulds.
Norman work confined to 3 buttresses and some re-set chip-carved string at west end.
Interior: arcades principally C13 incorporating C12 parts, but not uniform. North
transept divided from north aisle by double arcade. Plain half-round chancel arch
with no springing. C14 truss-rafter roof to chancel. Pretty Decorated piscina and
part of sedilia (retaining traces of colour) fitted under first south window of
chancel. Blocked organ,chamber arch with 2 mediaeval tiles set in (excavated at
west end). Late C16 'goblet' font. C19 nave roof but one of the C15 corbels beam
arms of John Weston, rector 1416-38.
For stained glass (by Wailes and String) and monuments see "Buildings of England;
Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds" (Pevsner/Verey). See also VCH Glos Vol VI.
Listing NGR: SP1908325759
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings