History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bedfont House woodward House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0517 / 52°3'6"N

Longitude: -1.7788 / 1°46'43"W

OS Eastings: 415265

OS Northings: 239279

OS Grid: SP152392

Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.742

Mapcode Global: VHB13.3PZJ

Entry Name: Bedfont House woodward House

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Last Amended: 25 January 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126213

Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Chipping Campden

Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chipping Campden

Listing Text

In the entry for



SP 15 39 SW HIGH STREET
(south east side)


9/157 Bedfont House

25.8.60

GV II*(Star)


the address shall be amended to read as follows:-


SP 15 39 SW HIGH STREET
(south east side)


9/157 Bedfont House and Woodward House

25.8.60

GV
II* (Star)
and the words "sub-divided into two houses" shall be added to the
description after the third word on the second line.

------------------------------------
1.
5224 HIGH STREET
(south-east side)

Bedfont House
SP 1539 SW 9/157 25.8.60

II*


2.
Circa 1740. Built by Thomas Woodward. Ashlar slate roof not visible. Provincial
Palladian town house with main block set back with wing projecting to street on
either side, the wings altered mid C19.
Main block: Two storeys, basement and attic, 5 windows, 1.3.1.
Chamfered quoins, giant fluted Corinthian pilasters divide the window bays,
modillion cornice and balustraded parapet. Square headed windows to ground, semi-
circular with keystones above all with plate glass sashes. Flight of steps up to
doorway with enriched Corinthian pilasters and segmental pediment, panelled double
doors with rectangular light over. Two tripartite lunette dormers in mansard roof
behind parapet, tall end stacks. The garden front is similar. Random rubble with
cornice. Central windows with moulded architraves and keystones, some glazing bars.
Central doorway with panelled pilasters and entablature, tall staircase window over
with shouldered architrave. Parapet, ramped up at ends and centre. Slate roof.
Left hand wing: Heighted and refenestrated mid C19. Three storeys, one window. Two
storey centred bay, 2 sashes in keyed architraves above. Tripartite window to
courtyard. Low pitch slate roof with corner balls.
Right hand wing: As left hand but storeys only. Six panel door with drip mould.
Gable ball finial. Rear part one storey and attic (probably originally stables).
Cotswold stone roof with 4 gabled dormers. Two canted bays, one window with
Gothic head. Rustic porch.


Listing NGR: SP1524439254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.