This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9679 / 51°58'4"N
Longitude: -2.4354 / 2°26'7"W
OS Eastings: 370186
OS Northings: 230028
OS Grid: SO701300
Mapcode National: GBR FY.L4JF
Mapcode Global: VH866.QSWR
Entry Name: Boyce Court
Listing Date: 17 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125875
Location: Dymock, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL18
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Dymock
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Dymock St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 73 SW
5/57 Boyce Court
House; early C17, second quarter C19. Front rendered, lined as
ashlar, save ground floor, main block, banded rustication: rear
wing Flemish-bond brickwork: slate roof. Five-window garden
front, 2-rooms deep, 3 storeys, with L plan rear wing: 2-storey
single-room wing on left. Garden front: symmetrical main block
with slightly projecting centre bay. Plain plinth, recessed porch
up one stone step, framed by Doric pilasters, Greek key ornament on
stem, flat head. Semi-circular niche each side internally, 4-panel
door in half-glazed screen with small, octagonal panes. Either
side 2 sash windows; moulded string above. First floor 5 sash
windows with eared surrounds and slightly projecting apron below.
Moulded string above: second floor five 9-pane sashes, with beaded
surround. Wide, moulded eaves, hipped roof, chimney on ridge to
left of centre and at right end. Lower wing on left: sash window
each side of 15-pane sash, extending to floor level, up 2 stone
steps; above two 4-pane sashes, cambered head, within flat-headed
opening. Flat roof.
Internally, ground floor, hall behind porch dentil cornice; room
on left panelled shutters, moulded door surround with corner
paterae, ornate plaster cornice: room beyond on left panelled
shutters and ceiling beams, plaster cornice. Early C17 'H' plan
house, said to contain ceiling dated 1603: one wing replaced in
early C19 by 3-storey block, with large, circular staircase behind
centre of original house. In 1935 circular stairs and all but one
room of old house demolished.
(The Rev. J.E. Gethyn-Jones, Dymock down the Ages, 1966)
Listing NGR: SO7018630028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings