History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Laurels

A Grade II Listed Building in Bromesberrow, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0052 / 52°0'18"N

Longitude: -2.3735 / 2°22'24"W

OS Eastings: 374457

OS Northings: 234146

OS Grid: SO744341

Mapcode National: GBR 0GY.6RC

Mapcode Global: VH93H.TV2Q

Entry Name: The Laurels

Listing Date: 2 October 1954

Last Amended: 17 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125836

Location: Bromesberrow, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, HR8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Bromesberrow

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bromsberrow St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Redmarley D ľAbitot

Listing Text

BROMSBERROW BROMSBERROW VILLAGE
SO 73 SW

5/19 The Laurels
(formerly listed as The Rectory)

2.10.54
II

Former rectory, now old people's home. Early C19. Flemish bond
brickwork, slate roof. Three-window front, 3 storeys, 3 rooms
deep, roof sloping down to low 2 storeys at rear. Front, plinth:
slight recess in centre. Six-panel front door up 6 stone steps,
bottom panels flush, centre fielded, top glazed. Moulded timber
surround; rectangular ornamental fanlight: cast-iron open gabled
porch, sloping down over steps, cast-iron columns at front, glazed
roof. Tripartite sash window with rubbed brick arches each side.
Brickwork painted below plain stone string course, extending first
floor window sills. Three sash windows first floor, rubbed brick
arches: semi-circular head to centre recess. Three 6-pane sashes
top floor, rubbed brick arches: parapet eaves, plain stone coping.
Brick gable chimneys projecting slightly from main fabric.
Internally, Greek key decoration to pilasters flanking former
opening between 2 rooms on right. Probably built about 1823 for
Rev. Hill, previous resident rectors living at Bromsberrow Place
(q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
F.F. Rigby, To Our Lady of Bromsberrow, 1970)


Listing NGR: SO7445734146

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.