This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8949 / 51°53'41"N
Longitude: -2.3546 / 2°21'16"W
OS Eastings: 375695
OS Northings: 221880
OS Grid: SO756218
Mapcode National: GBR 0J9.5J7
Mapcode Global: VH943.4MKP
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Last Amended: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125789
Location: Tibberton, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Tibberton
Built-Up Area: Tibberton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tibberton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 72 SE TIBBERTON HUNTLEY LANE
8/253 Church of Holy Trinity
(formerly listed as Parish Church)
Parish church; C12, C14, C15, restored 1908. Flattish, coursed
stone to tower, ashlar dressings, tiled roof with stone-slate
eaves; nave and chancel random rubble with larger quoins and
ashlar dressings; tiled roof. Nave, chancel, west tower and
porch. South face: porch on left, unglazed lancet with iron bar;
parapet gable with cross gablet apex, roof half-hipped to right to
clear window in tower. Two stage tower, plain plinth, diagonally-
set corner buttresses to west side lower stage: plain string
course; twin Lancets near top, trefoil heads, timber louvres.
Simply-moulded projecting stone eaves; pyramid roof with lead
hips, iron finial on apex. Nave: plinth at west end only:
herringbone-masonry low down on left, built up lancet above. To
right 2-light window, cinquefoil heads to lights, trefoil above, no
hoodmould. To right of centre built up plain semi-circular headed
doorway, thin stone voussoirs. Similar window to right, with
right half of blocked lancet beyond. Square-set rock-faced ashlar
buttress with 2 offsets at right-hand end of nave, top dies into
gablet above eaves, carrying base of circular chimney. Wide eaves
with long, scrolled gutter brackets. Parapet gables, cross-gablet
apex to east with stone cross finial. Chancel, catslide extension
for organ on left, 2 lancets to right: eaves and east gable as
nave. Plain plinth to east wall chancel, with projecting stone
capping: wall monument on left; stepped 3-light lancet window in
centre, no hoodmould: trefoil in gable over.
Interior: scissor-braced collar-rafter roof to porch: boarded
door to tower with moulded cover strips to joints, hoodmould with
leaf stops. Tower base flat boarded ceiling with bell hole:
below wall ribs and springing for unfinished vault. Wide, moulded
arch to nave, no capitals. Nave plastered, plain, semi-circular
arch to chancel, plain jambs with abacus-like capitals. Five
irregularly-spaced tie beams, 2 moulded: plastered barrel ceiling
over. Plastered arch over piscina in chancel: panelled, boarded
ceiling, cambered, moulded tie beams with bosses at junctions.
Stone font 1920: Cl9 octagonal wooden pulpit on stem:
benefactions board in tower base; 6 early C19 wall monuments.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7569221881
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings