This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9303 / 51°55'49"N
Longitude: -2.4049 / 2°24'17"W
OS Eastings: 372255
OS Northings: 225831
OS Grid: SO722258
Mapcode National: GBR NRFL.DYR
Mapcode Global: VH93W.8RG3
Entry Name: Market House
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125698
Location: Newent, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL18
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Newent
Built-Up Area: Newent
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Newent St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 7225-7325 NEWENT MARKET SQUARE
13/165 Market House
Market House; late C16 or early C17, restored 1864 for R.F.Onslow.
Heavy timber posts on stone bases, ground floor; close-studded
timber-framing, white-rendered infill above: tiled roof. 3-bay
hall, small semi-octagonal extension one end: 2 storeys. Ground
floor slight chamfer to posts, row down centre of building, curved
braces to bressumers: posts to semi-octagon much smaller section.
First floor close studding, no centre rail: straight braces corner
posts to bressumer: 4-light timber window, flat head, trefoil-
heads to lancets. Gable over centre north-east face: raised on
small, square panels, curved corner decoration. Diagonal timbers
form diamond-set square pattern,carved bargeboards, timber finial,
iron weathervane. Extension 1 lancet per face, hipped roof.
Right return as north-east face, but heavy jowls to posts: gable
close studded up to collar, V-struts above. Wooden steps up to
external door south-west face.
Internally, open below. Upper hall boarded, panelled sloping
ceiling: cambered tie-beams to 2 trusses; measured drawing
exhibited in hall shows 2 pairs angle struts, collar and V-struts
over. Extension forms separate room; added 1864. Photograph of
c1840 painting in hall shows exterior largely unaltered by
restoration. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument, AM No 114.
(Kelly's, Gloucestershire Directory, 1885.)
Listing NGR: SO7225525831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings