History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hartpury Church of England Primary School and Attached House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartpury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9121 / 51°54'43"N

Longitude: -2.2942 / 2°17'39"W

OS Eastings: 379860

OS Northings: 223771

OS Grid: SO798237

Mapcode National: GBR 0J6.2SL

Mapcode Global: VH944.660J

Entry Name: Hartpury Church of England Primary School and Attached House

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125579

Location: Hartpury, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Hartpury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hartpury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hartpury

Listing Text

SO 72 SE HARTPURY GLOUCESTER ROAD
(east side)

8/47 Hartpury C of E Primary School
and attached house

II

School and attached house; 1869 date stone, extension late C19, for
Rev. W. G. S. Addison by Fulljames and Waller of Gloucester,
builder J. Clutterbuck. Squared, coursed blue lias, ashlar to
openings, tiled roof. 'L' plan, school wing gable to road, single
storey hall, 2-storey house wing on left, 2 rooms deep. Plain
plinth to schoolroom gable, 3-light stepped lancets, with transom,
plate tracery, hoodmould, with stone voussoirs forming relieving
arch. Date carved in windowhead. Half hip above. Chimneys set
back on left return. To left lower gable for porch, boarded door
up 3 stone steps, trefoil head with quatrefoil over, all within a
chamfered 2-centred arch. Carved text above; parapet gable with
cross gablet and iron finial to apex. Either side trefoil heads to
rain-water outlets, with decorative cast-iron rain-water heads and
square pipes. To left boarded door with low pointed arch, entrance
to house: above trefoil-headed lancet, steep pyramid roof with
bellcast and lead top, small gablets on each face. Wall sets
forward to left, 3-light flat headed mullioned window, relieving
arch over; 2-light ditto above, with half-hip to gable. Right
return to school 4 windows altered in 1960s, retaining original
sills and jambs; 4 small gablets in roof over: beyond 2 half-hipped
gables, each with 2-light mullion and transom window trefoil heads
to lights, relieving arch over.
Internally, entrance to porch; school hall on right subdivided in
late C20 and ceiling inserted: feet of arch-braced collar trusses
visible, rising from stone corbels. 2 fireplaces, stone surrounds
with 2-centred arches, stone mantelshelves. Angle of 'L' largely
infilled in C20. School was extended in 1875 and 1893, one
extension being second gable on right return. (Copy of contract
drawings, D2186/72 at Gloucester C.R.O., and notes from school log
book, both kept at School.)


Listing NGR: SO7986023771

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.