History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margarets (Church of England)

A Grade II* Listed Building in St Margarets, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7857 / 51°47'8"N

Longitude: -0.0002 / 0°0'0"W

OS Eastings: 538034

OS Northings: 211566

OS Grid: TL380115

Mapcode National: GBR KBV.SXC

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.YC7X

Entry Name: Church of St Margarets (Church of England)

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 30 September 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355983

Location: Stanstead St. Margarets, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanstead St Margarets

Built-Up Area: St Margarets

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

ST MARGARETS (west side)
St Margarets village
Church of St Margarets
( C of E )
24.1.67 Formerly listed as Church of
St Margarets)


Church in use. Norman features but largely rebuilt with a N
aisle c1316 for Sir William Goldington's collegiate foundation of
a charity with 5 chaplains: dissolved 1431, and appropriated to
the Priory of Elsing Spittle in London. Present appearance dates
from c1820 (date on bell). Restored 1903 for Septumius Croft of
St Margaretsbury. Repairs 1935 by H A Newton. Flint rubble with
stone dressings. Steep old red tile roof with small octagonal
wooden cupola at W end. A simple rectangular building of nave
and chancel with no external division. 2 small gabled stucco
early C19 extensions on N now used as a vestry and stair-hall to
W gallery. Diagonal corner buttresses with 2 offsets. Blocked
arcade of N aisle visible on N with C18 pointed wooden windows in
the filling with leaded glazing and iron casements. Just E of S
door a small round-headed Norman window with incised billet
pattern in jambs. C14 S door, 2-light windows in S wall, 4-light
E window with early Decorated style flowing tracery flanked
inside by foliated ogee-headed niches, and piscina in S chancel
window. Inside a change in S wall from old nave to wider
chancel. Nave has a 2-bay crown-post collar purlin roof. The
crown-posts are octagonal with moulded caps and bases and 4-way
bracing in one but braces to collar purlin only in other 2.
Cambered moulded tie-beams and arched braces from wall posts on
carved stone corbels. Box pews in the chancel. 2 hatchements
(RCHM (1911) 211-12: VCH (1912) 474-6, (1914) 454-5: Pevsner
(1977) 344).

Listing NGR: TL3803411566

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.