This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7992 / 51°47'56"N
Longitude: 0.0409 / 0°2'27"E
OS Eastings: 540825
OS Northings: 213137
OS Grid: TL408131
Mapcode National: GBR LD6.558
Mapcode Global: VHHM5.N1GL
Entry Name: Bonningtons
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355928
Location: Stanstead Abbots, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Stanstead Abbots
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanstead Abbots
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 41SW STANSTEAD ABBOTS HUNSDON ROAD
Country house. C17 or earlier farm house enlarged as a country
seat 1687 by Ralph Byshe, a much larger block added at SW corner;
improvements c1725 for John Byshe (RCHM Typescript). Mid C19
billiard room added on W with single storey pavillion link. Rear
wing to S range c1900, 2-storeys in matching style. Red brick
and old red tiled roofs. Older E wing lower, 2-storeys and 3-
windows with large central chimney. Parallel rear range with end
chimney rather later. Door enters behind chimney. Gabled porch
and casement windows in flush frames under segmental arches.
Early C19 sash window on left. 2 old casements and one of C19
above. Brick band between storeys and moulded eaves courses.
South block has elaboration around W entrance now obscured - some
features of formal S front may be improvements of c1725. Double-
pile plan with central passage to rear staircase and axial
passage in rear half. S front of 2-storeys, cellars and attics.
Brick band at floor level. 7-windows and 3 flattopped dormers.
Central door panelled in moulded doorcase with triangular
pediment on moulded brackets. Sash windows in flush moulded
frames with sunblind cases and 6/6 panes. Early thick glazing
bars at rear have been removed at front. Modillioned cornice to
hipped roof. Projecting single-storey link on left (one window
and hipped roof) to single-storey billiard room with truncated
pyramid roof. A low porch on E side of house altered c1980.
Large granite fountain bowl in front of house brought from
elsewhere in C20.
Listing NGR: TL4082513137
Other nearby listed buildings