History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in St Margarets, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7882 / 51°47'17"N

Longitude: 0.0087 / 0°0'31"E

OS Eastings: 538644

OS Northings: 211858

OS Grid: TL386118

Mapcode National: GBR KBV.WK5

Mapcode Global: VHHM5.3BG0

Entry Name: The Mill

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355958

Location: Stanstead Abbots, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Built-Up Area: St Margarets

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

(south side)
Stanstead Abbots village
13/27 The Mill


Corn water mill, now workshops. Rebuilt after a fire in 1881,
converted to steam after 1890, ceased milling 1926 (Branch
Johnson (1970)176). 4 floors and roof space tall yellow brick
mill beside mill stream probably at site of Domesday mill. Wide
slate roof. Arcaded with round arches rising to eaves level, 5-
bays to sides, and 4-bays at ends with circular windows in each
gable. Decorative tie plates at each floor. Windows with 3-ring
segmental arches, stone sills and metal frames, at each level.
On N end a high single-storey yellow brick and slate boilerhouse
with canted end to road and tapering square chimney rising above
the mill, topped with a brick necking and cornice. Boiler house
has 2 round arched windows with cast iron frames set in
rectangular sunk panels on E and N ends. Extended to rear in
similar panelled brickwork. Prominent landmark at the junction
of the High Street with Roydon Road. (Pevsner (1977) 344).

Listing NGR: TL3864411858

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.