History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mylne Mausoleum in Churchyard 8 Metres East of Chancel

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Amwell, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7944 / 51°47'39"N

Longitude: -0.0119 / 0°0'42"W

OS Eastings: 537203

OS Northings: 212502

OS Grid: TL372125

Mapcode National: GBR KBT.HSJ

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.R528

Entry Name: Mylne Mausoleum in Churchyard 8 Metres East of Chancel

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355878

Location: Great Amwell, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Amwell

Built-Up Area: Great Amwell

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 3712
(south side)
Great Amwell village
12/16 Mylne mausoleum
in churchyard
8 metres east of chancel


Mausoleum. 1800 by Robert Mylne (1733 - 1811). Buff brick and
York stone slab roof. A plain rectangular building in fine buff
brickwork in Flemish-bond. Low pitched roof with 3 stone slabs
to each slope cramped together. Plain stone pediment at each and
with recessed tympanaum of stone with decorative tooled finish.
Limestone plain doorframe on W end has coved projecting lintol.
Doorway bricked up. Fixed to the exterior by bronze pins and
built in flanking the door, stone memorial tablets to the Mylne
family. The roof is surmonted by a large square pedestal with
moulded base and cap, with a fluted stone urn on top. Coade-
stone circular plaque of a mourner on W side of pedestal, Mylne
achievement on E side, N side plain, and inscribed on S side
'Deo Opt Max/Coemeterium/pro se et suis/dat don dedicat/Robertus

Listing NGR: TL3720312502

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.